Can Harbeths Perform Well In Nearfield Listening?

A good friend who loves music, and who would otherwise qualify as an audiophile, but is not nearly as interested in actual audio equipment itself. He rely's on me to advise him with such purchases.

He has a particular fondness for the classic British/BBC sound in speakers, and recently was visiting a relative in Boston who had the Harbeth Super SHL-5 speakers and loved them. However, these were auditioned in a significantly larger room than he has available to him at home.

His wife has long since relegated him and his audio system to a 10x10 spare bedroom, to be fair, somewhat out of necessity given his house layout and circumstances. Given all of that, he does his listening in a nearfield environment,and sits six feet from his speaker position.
The only possible speaker placement is against a wall several feet from any corner.

Is it possible for the SHL-5's to truly work well in this situation, or, if not, the Compact 7 ES-3's? I would personally not have thought so, but then I discovered the comment below in the archives where the much larger M40's were apparently magical in such a space:

"05-17-08: Jeffkonicek
I had the opportunity to hear the Harbeth M40s at a true nearfield, (about three feet away, and 5 feet apart) in an acoustically treated room. Matching REL Stadium 111's, tube amplification, state of the art turntable ( sorry, I don't recollect more specifics ). Let me just say it was a transformative aural experience. As big as they were, when I closed my eyes those M40s just disappeared! I could almost reach out and touch the musicians as they played. Startlingly real 3D sound stage."

Before you go in that direction, the P3ESR's simply won't cut it for his needs. He requires significant bass, and while lovely little speakers intended for small rooms, they cannot deliver what he demands in that area.

I've heard most of the significant Harbeth speakers, but never in a small room or nearfield, and so, could use any expertise, thoughts or recommendations you can offer. Thanks.
nightfall
Well, Ryder actually owns and lives with the SHL5 so I'd take his word for it.

Really, if it were me and I needed to have a Harbeth in that space, I'd go with the PS3R and would not worry about a sub.

And I'd probably also look into speakers intended for placement against the wall or ones that would do well in corners.
Harbeths are one of the best at performing in the near field - that's often how they're used...

The P3's will work the best in a room that small - anything else will be too big IMO. If he has a fondness for the BBC sound - then the P3's will suffice...
Agreed. Your friend wants everything in the candy shop. In his size room, the 3's are the choice. The 7's are more forward sounding, if he turns it up I for one wouldn't want to be sitting that close. If he went with the 5's or 40's, it'd be him , his chair, and the speakers. It actually could work, if he doesn't mind being squeezed in there. Those speakers are designed and tweaked in an 11x11 room. And I know of some British folks who use the 40's in just that size room...
Tell him to buck up and go for it...depending on his gear he should be very happy.