Sopra 2 Bass

New member, first post, and newbie in terms of diving into the world of nice things. This world is insane! I've already been spiraling for a few months researching what to buy, AB'ing countless speakers and amps. I now own a McIntosh MA9000 that's driving my new Focal Sopra N2s via Kimber 12VS. My "dilemma" is with the lack of BASS. I demoed the N2s, so I know it's possible, but absent in my home. I have to use the tone controls (this is where you tear me apart) to bump the low end. I do not know if it's my room, lack of bass traps, or equipment, but I'm failing to get down a little lower without tone adjustments. I stream Tidal Masters to my wired Bluesound NODE 2i (optical to the MA9000 dac). My room is 11'x20.5' with a low, 7.5' ceiling. I have tried as many speaker positions as possible with little change. I already know I need to eliminate room echo in the center of the room and have been researching various acoustic treatments. I feel like I'm off to a good start, but now stuck, not totally satisfied. Yes, it's the best I've ever owned and mind-blowing amazing, emotional, etc, but just short of perfect for me. In tracks where I expect a punch, I get an unmoving transition... Can I get "there" with different wire? Should I consider a sub? Why do folks on this site use two subs? Do I need to hire someone to properly sound-treat the room? Is my room a lost cause for what I own? Reaching out because I'm stuck, afraid to waste money chasing dead ends. My budget is thin after the McIntosh and Focals. Any help would be so appreciated! I hope to learn, grow and pay it forward some day. Thank you.
128x128izjjzi
I've had the kanta for awhile now and findings are such;
Utilized the sumiko speaker setup to get bass dialed in, once done, the extension is marvelous.
Utilized the 4ohm taps on amp.  I remember someone telling me that focal was disingenuous with it's 8ohm rating.
Welcome to the forum. You have gotten some good ( and some not so good) advice so far. I won't reiterate what's been said but I would recommend dumping the VTI rack. I had one briefly and I couldn't believe how much it negatively affected the sound of my system. It rings like a bell and added an unpleasant "sheen" to the music. I got rid of it pretty quick and went with a Rigid Rack from Butcher Block Acoustics.

At your level, everything makes a difference. And as others have commented, if something tips up the treble response, the result is a sense of diminished bass response. Don't rule out the solution to your problem being something simple that doesn't immediately seem plausible.

Oz

Good Morning! My sister in law loves music and she was over for dinner last night. My wife spilled the beans regarding my endeavor and the night turned into a 3 hour listening session with my sister in law as the DJ. I've quickly learned that a system like this can invoke jaw drops, big smiles, shock and awe in people who have lived their lives thinking all systems were the same. This is where the approval to instead turn this room into a listening room / lounge came from. To see these two women seem to discover music for the first time and jump track to track to hear all their favorites was something to behold. Never thought my purchases would have such a profound impact on others, especially my wife. 

**One note. I pushed the system a bit and dialed in 70%. Halfway through the track there was a quick pop from the right speaker. Only happened once and it took me what seemed an eternity to grab the remote and drop the volume. Both ladies asked about the pop. I was stunned and never thought it would happen with this level of equipment. The questions to all of you: Can this happen with any system regardless of price? Did I do something wrong? The music was amazing, effortless and powerful. It was easy to listen to - zero fatigue. Everything sounds perfect despite the pop, so I'm praying no damage was done? The Mc's power guard lights were gently flickering during the track so I know the draw was significant. Full disclosure - it's only a 15 amp circuit for this room, which is not shared by any other room. Thinking I may want to consider a dedicated 20 amp tap? Existing wires may support a 20 amp breaker. Going to check today. If yes, should I replace the 15 with the 20? I have a 20 on hand.

I think someone asked about my music tastes? I like everything that moves me and I can find several artists that accomplish this in almost every flavor, save for speed \ death metal (if I have those terms correct). This is what I liked most about the Sopras - they handled everything well for my ear - something the competition in this range did not, and I can name a few dozen.

@tomic601 I think you are asking if I have the positive and negative reversed? I do not. I am super careful and the connections are correct. I am far from perfect and was so nervous to check lol. @mtbiker29 I am only able to upload one photo, which I just did of the back of the Mc / Kimber connects. I bought the wire new last Wednesday from Safe and Sound. It is Kimber 12VS Base series. I have been eyeing Silversmith Audio Fideliums. The Kimbers are 9' because the 9' was sold out and I wanted some placement flexibility, however I am happy with their current placement and could cut back to 6'.

As for my virtual room - @mtbiker29 I see you have two photos, a description and equipment list. Is the same available to all of us? I was only able to upload a single photo.

@james633 It's not that it was more open - I left the volume at 37 and sound level seemed to be cut in half going from 8 to 6 and again from 6 to 2. It was like switching from my Sopras to a clock radio - exaggerated, but that significant. Maybe I should have juiced the 6 and 2 to see what would happen?

Next steps are to relocate my CrossFit gear and rubber stall mats to another room and retry the tests on the fully carpeted surface that lurks beneath. I will also be ordering some diffusers and absorber panels as well. Wish I could post photos, but what I have on two wall so far: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CH1VPJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FWZZMSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 One is on the rear wall behind the left speaker, the other is 1/3 into the room on the right wall, ahead of the right Sopra.
Hey @ozzy62 I messed up and the rack does not fit the McIntosh. Appears I looked at other VTI offerings and noted the good spacing, but did not double check my final selection. Maybe it's meant to be. Suppose I better get used to more unboxing and re-boxing during this venture / hobby / addiction. lol  Seems it's most of what I've been doing!

I swear the next thing I'm going to learn is that my room needs an ideal oxygen to nitrogen ratio that's not the same as outdoors... I am still floored by switching the power cable and what transpired. My jaw is sore from smacking the floor so many times this month! 
@james633 and @michaeldunleavy Apologies and please, please bear with me. I revisited testing the 4 and 2ohm taps and need to roll back my findings. First, I wrote 6 and 2 in my last post when I meant 4 and 2, ugh. Second, while the "volume" does seem to drop a tad, it may not be loudness that is dropping, but what I'm hearing may be a smoothing of the track. I am now finding I like 4ohm better than 8. I spent an hour listening to the first minute of Fade to Black on each tap...over and over. 8ohm seems a bit louder, but also a bit harsher... and I do think the bass response is better dipping below 8. Again, I am stunned and have learned I need to run these tests a bit longer than a quick listen / judgment. 4ohm now seems more true, if this statement makes sense, and easier on my ears. Wanted this test out to you asap and I will continue to play with it / give it more time. I love progress.