Great Recordings, Sonically Speaking - and Why.

I think many of us would accept that artists such as Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, and Dire Straits have consistently put out music that was at least originally recorded to a high technical standard. [I'm not too sure what the loudness wars may have done to subsequent reissues, but even so, the tone and timbre thankfully tends to remain intact.]

However there must be plenty of lesser known recordings out there that could be said to be of a high sonic standard.

One such recording that I like to put on in the background whilst I'm doing other things is a piano recording that features wonderfully lush timbre and some delightful tunes.

This one is The Disney Piano Collection by Hirohashi Makiko and to me it makes a lot of other piano recordings sound a little washed out.
cd318
I agree with Coltrane 2. Jazz at the Pawnshop is the best live recording I have ever heard. I close my eyes and I'm sitting center at a table 12 feet from the stage, 30 feet from the bar in the back round ( hearing mild talk and clanging glasses). The music is melodic, traditional jazz with a very mellow flair. The acoustics are superb. I have over 3,000 LPs and this one is in the top 2 or 3 for sound quality and presence. You do not have to be a jazz purist to love this album...buy it if you can find it. And thanks to Coltrane 1 for bringing it to everyone's attention.
For those of you that still like to rock, listen to BTO remastered 24/192hz Qoboz. So far it it is only the Debut and Four Wheel Drive. But they sound really good and dynamic the best version I have heard.

ozzy
Casey Abrams - Jazz. Was searching for Chesky recordings and found this simple gem.
Anything on the Stockfisch label is beautifully recorded as well as the music  and songs are damn good. Sara k. and Chis Jones are 2 of my favorites.
as I write Cassandra Wilson’s “Belly of the Sun” album is playing.
I find the recording to be well done.