Handel Water Music - best CD? - Performance Recording

Am looking to purchase a CD or set containing the aforementioned works of Handel. Although I've been searching quite extensively I have found little information or reviews… and there are a VAST number of recordings to choose from.

At current, I am gravitating towards newer recordings, the assumption being that these will offer better sound (recording quality). I know that this is far from conclusive and lacks the all-important consideration of performance/acoustic qualities (of venue).

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mike
awdeeofyle
Gerard Schwarz, Los Angles Chamber Orchestra on Delos. The recording was done in late 1980. It is a two mike, true stereo recording. IMHO it is OUTSTANDING.
mike: "period" or "historic" instruments means instruments of the kind played at the time of the composition. obviously, these are the instruments of the variety for which the composition was written. such instruments may have been constructed in the 17th century or 1998; no difference, at least definitionally. "modern" instruments, on the other hand, means instruments you would see and hear today if you attended a symphonic or other concert. there is often a striking difference between versions of the same composition played on modern and historic instruments. both varieties of playings of handel's works are worth a listen. -kelly
Many violins played in modern orchestras date back to the days of Handel and Mozart; the difference is the historic orchestras use the old gut strings, so there is a lighter sound. Also they are not tuned the same. I cannot remember which way it goes, but what is say a normal B note in Handel's time is now either a B flat or B sharp today. So when you listen to a historic recording, you not only hear the gut strings, you are also listening to the music a half a note different than a modern performance. Since historic performances sound higher pitched to me, the modern tuning is probably a half note lower.

I usually prefer modern (not always). I always prefer modern instruments at the Dentist.

Don't buy without hearing Sir Charles Mackerras conducting
the Orchestrea of St. Luke's on the Telarc label!!!
Thanks ALL - for your information & recommendations!

Kelly/Sugarbrie – I’d suspected there WAS more to it than what might seem obvious, though I'd never truly considered what differences might exist between real “period instruments” and reproductions. …Especially something as simple as bow string composition vs. pitch etc.

I find it incredible that even by today’s standards; with our “technological superiority” the products of old world craftsmen/artisans are considered superior. …Benchmarks without equal, imbued with intangible and illusive qualities. (e.g. Stradivarius).

Thanks again,
Mike