Handel Water Music - best CD? - Performance Recording

Am looking to purchase a CD or set containing the aforementioned works of Handel. Although I've been searching quite extensively I have found little information or reviews… and there are a VAST number of recordings to choose from.

At current, I am gravitating towards newer recordings, the assumption being that these will offer better sound (recording quality). I know that this is far from conclusive and lacks the all-important consideration of performance/acoustic qualities (of venue).

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mike
awdeeofyle
Two excellent performances on historic instruments:

Nicholas McGegan, Harmonia Mundi 2907010
(good performance, extremely well recorded)

Trevor Pinnock, Archiv 410525
(a outstanding performance, somewhat less well recorded)
Those are both great picks if you like the historical instrument sound. If you want the Water Music played on modern instruments get Academy of St. Martin-in-the-fields; Neville Marriner on Argo label 414-596-2

Also includes the Royal Fireworks Music.

I concur with your suggestion for a modern instruments performance, Sugarbie. Marriner and the ASMF are almost always an enjoyable source for lively, well-thought performances.
I own the Pinnock/Archive, and no one will argue that it belongs near the top of any list. Also agree that McGegan/HM
has excellent sound, but my first choice is Hogwood/Lyre which also has beautiful sound. Sold as reduced price double disc which includes Royal Fireworks and several assorted concerti. L'oiseau Lyre was way ahead of other labels in the 1980s making quality digital CD recordings.

I do much prefer period instruments for this work vs modern instruments.