New Magnepan 3.7 i ?

From audioaficionado.org...

Announcing the 3.7i

An improved 3.7 may come as a surprise given that the 3.6 had a 12-year run. But, this is unusual in other ways.

The changes did not require retooling or significant cost increases. It did not warrant waiting for a major product change as a 3.8. So, we decided to pass it on now.

Yes, it is unusual, and it is the first time in Magnepan's history that a speaker can be upgraded at the factory at a reasonable cost (details to follow).

But, what is not unusual--- we don't hype new models. Yes, it sounds better, but we leave that to you to describe.

Wendell Diller
Marketing Mgr.
Magnepan
brrgrr
Moonglum, Thanks for the information. One question, did you audition the 3.7s's in the same room with the same ancillaries?

I was careful and deliberate in auditioning speakers over a long period of time, beginning before the release of the 3.7s. In that time, I auditioned a large number of speakers below 20K, and only the Maggies and wilson Sophia IIIs were serious candidates. If the 3.7i modifications further improve them, that will be a good thing for everyone.

As for me, I'm still in a holding pattern due to a pending move. Until I see what our new place is going to be like, I won't know if I will be able to continue to use the 3.7s. That waiting period should allow more comments like yours to come in, hopefully from 3.7 owners who have taken the plunge.
My pleasure m8. No, believe it or not we were using a budget Krell for the 3.7i audition, whereas the 3.7 benefitted from a more substantial amplifier (I-700)that was over twice the price. Just to complicate matters the 3,7i audition was in a different City altogether (London - unfortunately the only dealer in the UK that had a 3.7i - but it was sheer accident that I happened across them) so in retrospect I agree there was plenty of room for variation.
Both rooms were well damped & optimised and used source CD players of similar price and quality (AR and Sim-Moon), however the (potential) sale stands or falls on how the kit performs on the day... :(
Kind regards,
BTW...the Krell wasn't actually requested as it was the default setup that had been arranged for other customers. I was mightily impressed by its abilities nevertheless!
I believe they're now releasing an s550 integrated so that might be an interesting one for folks to try... :)

Cheers..