Does using XLR cables (double voltage output) mean I can use lower powered amplifiers?

Hi

Does using XLR cables (at 4V output from most dacs) vs RCA cables (with 2V output) mean that I have doubled the gain hence I only need half the power from amplifiers?

Just as a background I am looking for tube amplifers which typically are less powerful compared to solid state amplifiers. So I was wondering if using XLR connection rather than RCA mean that I can venture into lower powered amplifiers?

Or does the voltage input from the dac not matter/affect the power that a amplifier needs to drive the speakers?

Thanks!

Regards
Ben
thegreenman
MC, you should change your avatar to a little knitted black and white bear with pins stuck in it…

A Panda would be China. The creature you are trying to evoke is Xi, aka Winnie the Pooh. Get your insults straight please, or don't bother.

@ghdprentice 

thanks for the reply! yeah agreed about the 2 step up approach! that's why I'm saving up for a amp upgrade! sadly they are so expensive!

haha will check out your audio reserach! my PL is an integrated with 8 tubes, so outputs 70W. but I'm looking at SET stuff like 845s. 300b have too low wattage, and maybe I will need 4x 845 tubes
@twoleftears 

ooh thanks! i always thought the gain is related to the power output! I guess you are right its different! was thinking if the power output is how much power you need to amplify the gain, and if the gain is higher, the final sound pressure for the fixed power amplification would be more.

I better go read up!

@hshifi
thanks for the enthusiastic input! :)) you sure are enjoying your system! :))