Fraud and scam, how many of you are victims?

I was a victim of the most unpleasant experience just recently.I thought i was buying a preamp, but it proves i have been sending money to a scammer. It turns out the seller had been using a stolen ID and digitally manipulated photos.
I managed to get in contact with the fellow whos ID had been stolen, and it proves many more have been scammed like me. I'd like to point out that this is NOT through Audiogon, but another big sight.

Utterly painful when it's borrowed money. This makes me totally rethink any future purchase on the used marked.

I wonder how many of you fellow audio-friends have had this happen to you?

rird
Yes, be careful, do your homework. Contrary to what you have read here before, PayPal, in my experience during covid, has been a real disappointment. Pre recorded phone messages, not answering emails, ect. Maybe things are returning to pre-covid, I hope so. But again, be careful
Sorry you learned the hard way.  Most folks in our hobby have long been aware of the prevelance of internet scamming, and the ways to reduce the risk:

#1:Use Credit Card or PAYPAL
#2:Avoid "too good to be true" offers!  Repeat, avoid too good to be true offers!
#3:Only use the most reliable web sites.

Soeems like you probably missed all three above...

You talk about 1, 2 and 3. 3 can be discussed as they are under attack from scammers.
But to say Audiomarkt is same as a none reliable source is kind of weird. What do you base that statement on?
I’ve done deals online since i was just over 20 and i’m 47 now, and bankwires have been used years and years.
Paypal you mention as something that is great! I can tell you they have certainly not solved issues i have had.
I know more people who have reported issues with Paypal so i think you are a bit off here.