Tubes for Magnepan’s.

I think next up on my acquisition list is a tube amplifier. I'm not looking for the be all end all, cause I don’t think there is a definitive "Best", so am looking for as good as I can get for $3-4k.

Because tubes drive speakers so much more efficiently than solid state I am only looking for 40-50 watts to drive my modded Maggie’s, 1.7i's. (Or what you have when you add a new crossover and planer tweeters to 1.7i's.) Maybe 2.7x? I haven’t settled on that yet. And I have some Zu Dirty Weekend's upgraded to the max coming in in 2 months to replace my KEF's.

Anyway, I haven’t had a tube device since my Halicrafter short wave radio, and reviews are not the same as advice from people that own something. There is a Rouge Audio dealer in my area, last I looked, (opps, they no longer carry them), so I may have to go to another market to hear something, or get a try before you buy from a manufacturer or dealer.

You folks have taught me a lot, and I think asking users is the right thing to do on this change in direction.

Thanks in advance.
128x128william53b
Sorry, school isn’t in session. 

I’m discussing tube amps and Magnepan’s here. Sometimes I get too close to sharing things that should not be.

Knowledge isn’t necessarily power, but knowledge and money can be.
Atmasphere knows of what he speaks. I have been using the Paul Speltz designed Zero autoformers for over a year now, with Nominal 6 ohm electrostatic hybrids (91 db/1w/m) and a 40 watt/ch PP tube amp (an Elekit TU 8340 with KT 77's). Doubling the resistance (and being able to utilize the 8 ohm output taps) was an astonishing revelation! The largest improvement I could ever hope for without changing the main components entirely.
The effect of the impedance change is a Speaker modification, not an amplifier tweak. Maggies are probably even more deserving of this amazing benefit (Nominal 4 ohm) and may even require the x3 configuration.

Atmas-Sphere, Anti-Cable and Magnepan  are awesome products... 

What a Great Hobby...
Driving my LRS with a variety of gear right now:

McCormack .5 (100 watts SS) with Rogue Perseus tube pre
Rogue Atlas Magnum 3 (100 watts, kt120 tubes) with same Perseus
Hegel H360 integrated (250 watts SS)  

The Mc/Perseus and Atlas/Perseus both do a good job and sound great - different of course - if you are staying under or around 75 - 80 dB.  But if you want that last little giddyup the Hegel does the trick.  So smooth and effortless.  By most accounts a great match for Maggies.  Paid under $3k used for the Hegel so within your budget.  Definitely worth a try if you come across one.  

But, sounds like you're not really looking for giddyup so a tube pre/SS combo should be great.  It might take a few tries to find the right combo but that's the fun part!

I will add that my Jolida 502brc tube integrated at 60 watts just can't cut it with the LRS.  Runs out of gas way early.  

Keep us posted.  I am curious about different gear for Maggies as it looks like I may be hooked.  Would like to hear the Hegel H20 with a tube pre for sure!
Investigate a rebuilt Harman Kardon Citation II.  I know of many people who used this amp to drive Maggies (and other current absorbing speakers) and were happy with the combination.   This amp sounds better than a Mac 275 or Marantz 9.

A rebuilt II can be found for under $3k, and then resold for the same price if you want to move on.

In newer amps, I would investigate amps that can use KT90-120-150 output tubes.   Rogue, Prima Luna, Icon, Line Magnetic all come to mind and should sound very good to excellent with your Maggies.