Turntable mat journey

I have now tried 4 mats and although my current mat (Herbie’s Way Excellent Mat) solved my problem of static pulling the mat up while flipping records, I would like to get the sound designed by Rega (P8) with it’s felt mat back or as similar to it as possible. Also my current one is a white silicon and attracts anything and cleaning it is not fun or easy. Supposedly, the ideal mat is like shelf paper, and one of my 4 was the TEAC Washi mat which sounded fine, but that also came off the table- not sure if it was static or because it was large in diameter than a record. I haven’t seen any other like this. I also tried a VPI rubber backed felt mat that I though would stick better to the platter, but that one also came off when flipping.

Please don’t recommend ridiculously priced ones over $200 - I’d prefer to be at $100 or less if possible. I saw a very thin carbon fiber mat <.5mm called extreme phono speed mat that said it can be placed over a felt mat; in fact they sell it as an option with a felt mat- maybe this is the answer. It’s $89 by itself (I wouldn’t need another felt mat that adds $20).

Any thoughts of having 2 separate layers not stuck together as a mat?
Has anyone tried this or a thin carbon fiber mat, or have any recommendation? I’ve seen some older discussion threads talking about the My Mat made by a fellow Audiogoner, but from what it looks like, it would be similar to the one I have now since it is in the polymer type category.

I know this is a 1st world problem, but someone must have a solution. Thanks for your ideas.
sokogear
Found double sided scotch tape - the weakest adhesive I think you can find that is easily removable with no residue. Consider the problem solved, but I'll be glad to hear other recommendations that haven't already been discussed. Thanks to all.
I have the Extreme phono speed mat and really saw no improvement with it's use. I also have a thick Rega felt mat and surprisingly gives me the best sound on my Well-Tempered Amadeus turntable. Although, as you state it has issues with static cling to tecords. Come to think of it, I haven't tried the speedmat on top of the felt mat. Have to give it a try.

Glad to hear the double sided tape has resolved the issue. If you like the Rega sound, the stock mat really is the best sounding solution IMO, and I have a cupboard full of mats to prove it.
My Rega mat is the heavier duty one. Not sure if it came standard on my P8 or if it is the upgraded one I bought when I had my P5, which may be the greatest value in Rega’s history IMHO.

@mr_m - the extreme mat is designed to go over felt because it is so thin. From what I read it has static issues and lifts up as well.

@rossb - I’ve gone through 4 mats now and read about several others and I’m back to the Rega, originally not wanting to attach anything to the platter to be able to switch back and forth. I only went back to the Rega because I thought with the increased humidity, the static problem would go away. It didn’t, but I liked the SQ better than Herbie’s Way Excellent (which is fine, really), so this whole process started over again. It is now put to bed. I was just trying to solve a problem, not improve the sound by changing Roy’s design. I’m not a tweaker of products themselves (counterweights, fuses, platters), but I don’t doubt that some people like the way these things change the sound. I want it to sound like it is supposed to. I do heavily use vibration control devices as they are external to the components, and IMHO make a HUGE difference.

$2.97 is my cheapest audio expenditure ever, and it works! Whoever thought the Tru Valu Hardware store was an audiophile supplier with Scotch double sided tape?

Rega mat looks like it is supposed to also....
I’m just happy to have two MyMat’s from @slaw 

Really incredible. After trying many and none at all (including the built-in ‘mat’ on the SOTA Sapphire). The MyMat really ‘opened-up’ the music and ‘releases’ it from the platter. Steve ( @slaw ) even convinced me to not clamp my LP’s with his mat. Hesitant to do that, but he was right. Unless I have to, my LP’s are spun unclamped now, and his mat frees the music and provides an abundance of air around the music.