Best DAC for SONY SCD XA5400es

Looking for recommendation as to which DAC would pair best with my SONY SCD XA5400es CD player.  I want to use SPDIF coax output to the DAC.  The rest of my system is McIntosh MA7000 integrated and B&W 802Diamonds.  I am not looking for preamp function in the DAC.  Price range $2-3k.  How would Benchmark DAC 3 B sound?

128x128l100
 So I decided to try the latest Bryston DAC - BDA-3 and ordered it yesterday.  Just curious to see if/how the HDMI output will work. Thanks for your suggestions.
l100 OP

Hi; I would be very interested to read some news from you: did it work?
I mean... do the Bryston DAC (via HDMI) read the DSD file (SACD disc) from the player Sony HDMI output?
Thank you very much.
mahler1231,259 posts05-03-2020 12:44pmThe Sony can also output DSD over HDMI.  If you have a DAC that has an HDMI input, then you are getting DSD.  For that reason I recommend the Bryston DAC3.

You are welcome to add something :)

l100
 OP
4 posts
05-06-2020 2:32pmSo I decided to try the latest Bryston DAC - BDA-3 and ordered it yesterday.  Just curious to see if/how the HDMI output will work. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi,

Did you have any successes in playing DSD from the Sony player to the DAC using the HDMI connection?

Kind regards,

Tom
Sorry to be a wet blanket, I remember this Sony player we had the full ModWright version including a few other players in a shoot out . It was chosen because of the seemingly very popular online appeal with references as a giant killer .

Others we had on had the entry level EMM Labs player , mid line CEC transport and entry level Esoteric player.

The self noise of the Sony was horrendous with a capital H and quickly topped as the worst out of the others we had on hand .  Though using quality footers helped with the cold digital glare the Sony almost sounded like a totally different player the footers helped over tube swaps including trying different interconnects and power cords , footers helped a lot under this player and power supply.
In the end we couldn’t figure why this player has such online popularity and was referred to as a giant killer...