Best DAC for SONY SCD XA5400es

Looking for recommendation as to which DAC would pair best with my SONY SCD XA5400es CD player.  I want to use SPDIF coax output to the DAC.  The rest of my system is McIntosh MA7000 integrated and B&W 802Diamonds.  I am not looking for preamp function in the DAC.  Price range $2-3k.  How would Benchmark DAC 3 B sound?

128x128l100

Showing 1 response by in_shore

Sorry to be a wet blanket, I remember this Sony player we had the full ModWright version including a few other players in a shoot out . It was chosen because of the seemingly very popular online appeal with references as a giant killer .

Others we had on had the entry level EMM Labs player , mid line CEC transport and entry level Esoteric player.

The self noise of the Sony was horrendous with a capital H and quickly topped as the worst out of the others we had on hand .  Though using quality footers helped with the cold digital glare the Sony almost sounded like a totally different player the footers helped over tube swaps including trying different interconnects and power cords , footers helped a lot under this player and power supply.
In the end we couldn’t figure why this player has such online popularity and was referred to as a giant killer...