Looking for a turntable around $1k...

I don’t and won’t have tons of $ to throw into an analog set up. I’m primarily digital and CD but I still have enough recordings that are vinyl only as well as others of sentimental value that I listen to regularly enough  that I can justify getting a decent turntable, at least at the price point I set. I know that some people have expensive opinions about turntables, but I can’t go there. 

My listening set up is a Schiit Mani phono preamp, a Decware Torii MkIV amplifier, and Omega 6.5” Alnico Junior XRS speakers if that all matters.

I’ve been using a Technics AT-LP120 for years and I have come to hate it. The tone arm is floppy and it has become pretty much impossible to lower the needle without it bouncing off the record. If someone down the block sneezes, the record skips. No matter where I place the table. Everything about it has gotten worse and I fear that the turntable is damaging my records at this point.

I’ve been considering the Rega Planar 3 but do I even need that?

Is there a sleeper turntable around $1k that I don’t know about?

Could I just get by with a Planar 1 or 2 given that vinyl is what I listen to 3rd most behind HD streaming and CD?

pip_helix
Unfortunately I sense that many of you either recommend or trash product that you haven’t heard or used. No names, but it’s easy to tell! Chakster, your advice is most logical! At $900-$1000, the Technics 1200 mk7 seems the highest performer of the group mentioned. Add an AT-VM95EN (nude elipical), and you have a great rig. Also there are the ML and SH stylus upgrades.

I just got a technics sl-1500c. Coming from an audio Technica LP5, it was a big jump in sound quality. I’m a fan of DD, but didn’t necessarily need the adjustments the various 1200s have. I like the clean look of the 1500c.  It’s a bit over your limit at $1199, but in June technics is offering the sl-100c in Europe. It’s the 1500c without the preamp and an AT cartridge. I’m not sure when or if it’ll be available in the US, but it’ll be closer to $1000. Had it been available when I was looking I would’ve grabbed it instead. The preamp is decent, but I’m already eying a few phono stages.
Chakster, your advice is most logical! At $900-$1000, the Technics 1200 mk7 seems the highest performer of the group mentioned.

thanks