Can Magnepan survive Wendell Diller?

I bought my first set of Magnepans in 1976, and I currently have a pair of 1.7i's.

It is difficult for me to upgrade to the 3.7i's because their are so many things that the company can do to improve their product that they simply won't offer; upgraded crossover components, a solid wood/rigid frames and better stands are examples.

Other companies are now doing this, but Magnepan always says Wendell doesn't think that is a good idea.

Can a man who suggests using lamp cord for his speaker line really have that much control over an otherwise unique technological approach to speaker design? I must be missing something obvious when a product is hand assembled in MN and any of these upgrades would, in my mind, warrant factory upgrades. Who wouldn't spend an extra $1k for a 1.7i with a hardwood frame and an upgraded x-over? Adding a ribbon tweeter to the 1.7i would warrant an additional $1k, still bringing them in $2k under the 3.7i.

Is it common for one person to hold an entire company back in high end audio? 
128x128william53b
Wow, interesting and loaded post and responses.  I have owned 3.7i for several years.  Non-fatiguing and nothing matches speed, wide sound staging and imaging.  That said i have a big room and have have added 2 Bass Panels to add fullness and warmth.  I actually think the musical bass of these Maggies are one of their biggest strengths.  To me most box speakers produce false or boomy lows.  That said they still have trouble filling up the room.  Don't tell Wendall, but i now sometimes use the dual 6 inch woofers on my old towers with a spare amp running at maybe 50% volume. 
Offering "upgrades" as many have suggested has its pros and cons.  Obviously, if the demand warrants at the price offered,  the company may find it beneficial and may decide to just upgrade the base product at the higher price.  The downside is you are pointing out or even documenting the flaws and component compromises of your product.  Magnepan and Wendell have to balance these things out. If there is and improvement to be had and even a moderate aftermarket for these improvements it would seem they should incorporate the upgrade.

I'm not a physicist, but I don't buy all this talk about the need for a stiffer structure.  The need for a stiff structure on the higher frequencies is fairly low - even on box speakers.  For planar designs on the low frequencies, we are dealing with a large, very low mass panel.  It would seem to me the energy or torque being spread very evenly over a large area makes them entirely different than the woofer section of a box speaker where a super stiff cabinet is essential.  On top of that it's a completely open back dipole design - the pressure on one side should be equal to the pressure on the other side.  the structure is really just there to hold the panels and mylar in place.  Magnepan's design allows them to save the expense of an elaborate and expensive enclosure.  If you think Magnepan's would benefit from an acoustically tuned enclosure - non bipole design i disagree, but that's a whole different subject. 
I was given Mye aftermarket stands with stiffening struts.  i tried them and heard no benefit so they are boxed up.   

True story. Years ago I bought a pair of 1.7's. As I was reading the owner's manual, it became clear to me that the narrative and graphics paled in comparison to the 1.6 manual. Using the 1.6 manual as a template, I red inked a copy of the 1.7 manual with arrows, comments, rewording, and suggestions etc. I mailed it to ATTN: Mark Winey. Crickets...
Magnepan has survived very nicely... Probably due to the fact they have NOT gotten unnecessarily exotic... And remain very affordable. I’ll bet their established supply chain simplicity has made them somewhat immune from the Covid excuses too.

I had the 1.6s....favorite speakers I’ve ever owned.... Wife loved them too... Unfortunately our new listening space/position can’t accommodate.

Manufacturers are damned if they do and damned if they don’t with some of you guys.

P. S. OP and others... I think it’s very rude to call out an individual’s name like this.
If you could not get Maggies to sound good you may have been lacking in proper room space /acoustics or... Most likely adequate QUALITY power.... They need a good POWERFUL amp to shine.

I’ve heard multiple accounts of people being disappointed in the sound... Having hooked them up to a low power home theater receiver. What a surprise my $300, 40 watt receiver doesn’t sound good through my Maggies 😂!
For everyone who is saying Magnepan is about value.

Exactly how bad could they make them for you to still want to buy them? 

I can live with the paperboard circuit board and the cheap connectors, and the imprecisely applied diaphragm conductor tape, but you must realize that those are more a result of lack of manufacturing savvy than necessities to keep the price down.

Handmade can have several connotations.