Can Magnepan survive Wendell Diller?

I bought my first set of Magnepans in 1976, and I currently have a pair of 1.7i's.

It is difficult for me to upgrade to the 3.7i's because their are so many things that the company can do to improve their product that they simply won't offer; upgraded crossover components, a solid wood/rigid frames and better stands are examples.

Other companies are now doing this, but Magnepan always says Wendell doesn't think that is a good idea.

Can a man who suggests using lamp cord for his speaker line really have that much control over an otherwise unique technological approach to speaker design? I must be missing something obvious when a product is hand assembled in MN and any of these upgrades would, in my mind, warrant factory upgrades. Who wouldn't spend an extra $1k for a 1.7i with a hardwood frame and an upgraded x-over? Adding a ribbon tweeter to the 1.7i would warrant an additional $1k, still bringing them in $2k under the 3.7i.

Is it common for one person to hold an entire company back in high end audio? 
128x128william53b
@richopp

No, the lamp wire comment was from and interview or their website. 
  In fact my dealer lamented that this comment was ever published, that he in fact knew this was a Wendell quote when I bought them, as it hurt his cable sales. 
  And if he would have been able to convince me I would have never bought the DWM panels. Why? Because of the old audio ax of speakers in the showroom not sounding the same in your home. I assumed the lack of bass was because of all of our overstuffed furniture and lined drapes. 

Yes, there is in fact tons of science and published research on cable quality and orientation, twist rates and basket weaving. I was dismissive about this until I did my own research on the matter not in audio circles but through research web sites, NASA, and neurobiological science testing of neurons. 
  As an example I did not know that the reason a conductor is called that is because the signal travels over the surface, so if you have multi stranded cables they should have Litz wire or at the least individually coated strands to prevent the signal from jumping from strand to strand and degrading the signal. Oxygen free equals a smoother finish, and you would preferably have a mirror finish on every strand.

Also, there is no correlation between AWG for a constant state signal like the current that comes into your home and signal carrying, Audioquest's woven speaker cables are derived from the military, and theirs from the Apollo project at NASA. You will always see twisted pairs on signal cable in planes and rockets, someplace that a confused by RF signal cannot happen. 
Best bang for the buck I have found is Benchmark's cables, but I can hear a difference between them an $800 dollar cables as well. The Benchmarks are designed with conveying the dynamic range in mind, they source their wire from Japan. But, say Cardas? They source some of theirs from New England Wire. https://www.newenglandwire.com
Magnepan cost vs. sound quality is off the charts, sure they could build them to the 9th degree and charge considerably more for them, but they know who their buyer is and their niche in pricing that contributes to sales in an ever-swinking marketplace. I think they know who they are as a company, and if you want a better built higher price speaker they are out there for your consideration but say they build as good as Sanders Electrostatics, Quads, and other panel speakers, Spatial Audio OB speakers are well built, but not overbuilt and they also offer sound quality off the charts at a reasonable price. My view is to enjoy what they all do right and accept they build quality to their price points, but sound-wise for most us normal people they offer a huge amount of music enjoyment. 
@richopp PS
Yes, now that I've wasted almost as much as I spent on my system, I would never skip the setup part of the process again. But then again I see a new DAC in my system this year, so that ratio will change now that I'm on the right track! 😉
I have nothing but respect for Magnepan.  They offer high sound quality at reasonable prices and they have done so for decades.  Try and name another audiophile company that can make that claim.  There aren't that many.   That implies that despite the whining and complaining by some that Magnepan knows what they are doing.
@phillyb

We will never know for certain until they do the logical thing from a manufacturing/development process; offer a standard and a high grade and let the consumer decide.

Much more cost effective than building new designs as an x-over upgrade would simply involve having two bins at that assembly point in manufacturing.  Better components from wire to caps, perhaps a better design?
Logically, would Magnepan rather maintain their market presence, or would they rather sell every $2,500 dollar speaker sold for those that have the space for them? 

I'm ordering the GR Research kit today to see how Danny's take on this sounds.