The Intellectual People Podcast - Galen Gareis (Former Belden Wire Designer)

Former Belden Wire Designer Galen Gareis explains how cables need to meet certain standards and the design parameters around them. He also speaks about the actual science and the subjective side within hifi audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tgi7njiRSM

128x128jtwrace
dletch2, thank you for your additional comments. You have homemade "custom" cables and appear to not understand how to assess cables in systems.

Well isn't that a convenient and absolutely meaningless conclusion there Doug. I don't use your flawed methodology, therefore I must be wrong. Sorry Doug, when I want to detect small changes in performance, I blind test.  Are you familiar with the concept? I don't think so since you never do it, and think this mixed cable concept of yours somehow gives you super hearing and removes bias. Sorry Doug, the world does not conform to how you want it to work.

Of course, you didn’t share what cables you have compared in sets, as I requested.

Request all you want. It is a meaningless request, therefore requires no answer.  If a single cable, replaced anywhere in the signal chain provides no audible difference when using actual critical listening testing, with attempts to remove bias, then replacing the whole loom is not going to either.  Let's face it, this whole "loom" concept is nothing but manufacturers trying to extract more money from customers. I don't blame them, every company tries to do that. However, anyone who has a shred of understanding of electronics or the possible interactions a cable could have, understands it MUST be highly dependent on the two components being connected, with the possible exception of speakers in most cases, hence the concept of a full loom is again, just marketing. Using critical listening methods would help you with this.  The other advantage of a supplier insisting full loom, to reviewers, is it forces a change (and hence contact swiping / cleaning) of every connection. 

You provided two instances of comparison of cables in mixed sets, as though that is evidence to dismiss the efficacy of different builds. Congratulations! You follow the same ignorant errors of other highly intelligent people who use poor methodology in reaching erroneous conclusions!

Doug, you have explained your methodology. It is flawed and so highly susceptible to mood and bias, that it is effectively worthless. That you think you are magically infallible is the start and finish of your methodology.  In terms of actually reading what I said, I provided two instances where an actual audible change was noted. There have been high 10's of high end cable comparisons with no evident changes. I have also made changes along the way that reduced noise, and it is pretty easy to make a bad speaker cable that produces a somewhat evident change in performance, at least with somewhat quick changes.

Until you accept you are biased, have moods, and are fallible, you will continue on the flawed path. 
It’s so funny: #measurementmorons with after market cables always say one of the following excusing themselves for having them:

1) They got them for free or very cheap

2) They look good. Audio jewelry

Heck! One of them said he got a $16,000 DAC because it looks good instead of a $50 China DAC that measures the same therefore sounds the same, just because it looks good. A little subjective?

😂😂😂
So let me do the math: I am in high school, so less than 18 years old. I joined Audiogon in 2005, when I was less than 2 years old? 
Besides, what problem do you have with what I wrote above? Triggered?
So what you are saying is in another 10 years or so, I can expect a statement with some maturity not a childish unrelated comment? Thank you for the warning.