Best Bang for your Buck DAC ?

I just realized I’m in the market for a DAC , I don’t want to spend a fortune on a DAC either . I picked up a drangonfly cobalt a while back and am unimpressed  so I moved it to my CPU and sounds really good on my system there which when I bought it figured I would do anyway since it was my first DAC purchase . There are so many DACs I have no clue , how high up on the returns chart can I go at say $1,000 before I run into heavy Diminished returns resistance. I’m open to buying used . I was thinking about a Schitt made in the states ? Anyone’s take on best bang for buck DACs? 
ngiordano
AME ADI-2 is fantastic, but your use-case may warrant allocating your budget differently.  Family-friendly?  Snag a Sonos Amp and treat the power properly, euphonic and simple.  Hegel H95 if you want to spend more.  At that price point, to my ears, the synergy of a quality integrated surpasses the benefits of a superlative DAC.
Schiit Modi 3 is a great place to start. Completely affordable and you can check the 'B' Stock section on https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks for open-box and other markdowns. Other option is a used Schiit Bifrost - bit of an upgrade from the Modi, and can usually be had for <$300 on eBay. Have fun!
Hello,
I have tested some of these DACs. There are basically two types of DACs. R2R which sounds like analog but also a little mellow unless you spend over a thousand like the Denifrips Pontus. When you go to a chipset based DAC it sounds very detailed and airy but less analog unless you spend the money. If you have tubes I say go with the RME or Schiit. If you have SS you can go with R2R as long as your system is not too warm. RME has an adjustable EQ so it should be good for everything. Try to get something you will lose the least money on when you sell it because you will be upgrading in the future. I would forgo the SBooster power supply for now because you will not get your money back and they are voltage proprietary. DACs are going to improve the most over time. You should look for used. This way you will lose the least amount of money. 
Hello ngiordano!  I'm very impressed with the SMSL M500. It's small, cute, sings like a bird, and costs only $400 or so. Happy hunting!