"Streaming Audio' vs. HDRadio

Here's an interesting question: I can now get my local FM Radio station on my computer using 'streaming audio' and I can also get the feed from a conventional tuner and also on an HDRadio receiver. So far, HDRadio receivers can be found for car stereos and just a few are available for home use. Might it be possible that so few home HDRadio receivers are available because we can get just as good a signal on our computer? I do assume the 'streaming audio' signal is digital...?
unclejeff
Unclejeff,

I see you've posted to other HD radio threads in the past. If some of the posters in those threads are correct in their assumption that HD radio is at most 96Kb, I think that explains why HD radio is inferior to a good Internet stream. At a much lower bitrate, there's just not the same fidelity.

Satellite and HD radio make sense for moving targets like vehicles or walker/runners, but will have a tough time competing, at least on sound quality, at fixed installations, where you have a lot more options.
I live in an area where I can get really fantastic HD picture quality using an antenna mounted on my roof. The local PBS feed as well as Monday Night Football equal the picture quality of my Dish Satellite HD receiver.

I was sort of hoping that since most all music coming from FM stations begins with a CD, a local HD Radio feed might equal what I get on my NEC Plasma.

Still, much of the above convinces me that streaming audio on DSL will be the way to go.
For a home system I agree 100%, as long as you can get the content you want on the Internet. If you're station-specific, there will always be gaps as most commercial broadcast stations don't stream and won't for the foreseeable future, as they're too dependent on the Arbitron ratings. Public stations are plentiful on the Web, as are Internet-only streams. I care much more about content than any station, so the Internet is perfect for the way I listen.