Can Any Bookshelf Speaker Be Used Nearfield?

Back with another question, to improve my system and my education!

I've asked for and seen recommendations for speakers to be used nearfield.  (For me that nearfield is on a large desk, with 42" between left and right woofers and 40" from woofers to my ears).  

Now I'd like to learn about what makes a great, or poor, nearfield speaker?  I have a large desk and have room for large monitors.  Can all bookshelf-sized speakers be used nearfield?  Why or why not?  There are a ton of terrific monitor-sized speakers listed here for sale, but understanding why some would work or not work will really help me narrow down the choices.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ag insider logo xs@2xazkeith

Somewhat full range, decent low bass that near?

Whatever you do, at any near distance, especially 'in your face' as yours will be, you need to first limit the amount of low bass the main speakers try to make, via a crossover. Add a self-powered sub, even a small one, for the lower bass. Single mono. Basically, some extension, unaware of it unless you turn it off. Get distorted bass out, especially when mains are 'in your face'.

For me, a true bookshelf speaker will fit on a 11-1/2" deep shelf, in a bookcase, hopefully at seated ear level (often horizontal is best). NO PORTS, Certainly not rear ports. How far apart? How close are you? I have a 6' triangle,

You will have a 40" triangle. Bookshelf is too big for that short distance.

At that distance, I would want tone controls, even better L-Pads. Individual driver volume adjustment after the crossover is better than tone curves prior to the crossover).
I just picked up the Dali Spektor 1 for use as near-field computer speakers, driven by an Emotiva BasX-A100 with a Polk subwoofer.  Other speakers that are not really meant to be near-field do not present a coherent sound field when listened to close up.  So short answer, not every speaker can be near field.