Why do some think "music" (not gear, trading, etc.) is the ultimate end?

A recent thread spurred a debate about the word "audiophile." Again. It went round and round in the usual ways.

What I don't understand is why so many take for granted that loving music is superior to loving gear. Or that gear is always -- and must be -- a mere *means* to music, which is the (supposedly) true end.

But if you stop and think about it, why do we love music? It gives us enjoyment.
Isn't that why people love gear? The enjoyment?
Or even, to push the question, buying, selling, changing gear? That's for enjoyment, no?

So, it raises the difficult question: Why do some think that "music" as an "enjoyment" is better than "gear" or "shopping, buying, selling, trading"?

Not everyone believes this, but it is the most prevalent assumption in these discussions -- that "love of music" is the end-which-cannot-be-questioned. 

So, while music is the largest end I'm personally striving for, I do realize that it's because it brings me enjoyment. But the other facets of the hobby do, too. And I'm starting to realize that ranking them is an exercise but not a revelation of the "one" way everything should sort out. It's all pretty subjective and surely doesn't seem like a basis on which I could criticize someone else's enjoyment, right? 

What do you think? On what grounds do you see it argued that "music" is a *superior* or *ultimate* end? Whether you agree or not, what reasons do you think support that conclusion?
128x128hilde45
Being a former musician this is hard for me to say, but the sound IS as important to me now as is the music.  Unless it’s a historic performance of great merit, I can’t listen to  a mediocre sounding recording without turning it off. And conversely, I might bear a mediocre rendering if it sounds amazing.
( by luck ) I am with Bill Hart. I own a Browning Superposed Grade V Diana with engraving by Doyen, one of the Master engravers ....it is hunted hard. Some find this shocking, as I am sure the Pheasant do. My Dog on the other hand makes no distinction in favoring the Diana....as long as we go and there are birds...

i will say put some acoustic unamplified music in your life...for intimacy, connection, simplicity, grace, delicacy, force....
**** The original question is why do some dismiss the love of gear by the tactic of making music an ultimate end. ****

Simple, because for some it IS the ultimate end. “Making music the ultimate end” is not a “tactic” for many music lovers, it is a reflection of appreciation for the depth of the greatness of inspired music making.

Now, everyone is free to approach and enjoy this hobby any way that it suits him and judging this is pointless. Moreover, I am not aware of any preponderance of “dismissal” of the love of gear on the part of those for whom music is the ultimate end. I love my audio toys, but not nearly as much as I love great music; even if on mediocre recordings. I am frankly surprised at the number of posters that have put the gear on an equal or even superior footing to the music.

Inconvenient truths: First, let’s start with the simple fact that without music the gear is useless; unless put on a shelf for viewing only. That simple fact alone puts music on a higher plane than the gear. The music does not need the gear; the gear needs the music. This goes to the heart of why the live music experience is best of all; as problematic as it may be in some respects, but that’s a different story. While acknowledging the great skill and creativity that goes into designing a great piece of gear, to compare this achievement to that reflected in, say, a Bach cantata or Beethoven symphony; or, the spontaneous inspiration behind a great John Coltrane or Jeff Beck solo strikes me as a bit shallow. Moreover, I would bet that most of the great gear designers would agree and would be the first to acknowledge this.

I am not aware of anyone ever having been brought to tears from staring at a silent pair of speakers.
@frogman I agree and at the same time have seen someone's face go white from staring at a silent speaker with a whole in the woofer after his son decided to poke a hole in it with his pirates sword!  He was strong...he didn't cry.  He also managed to 'coach his son' on not damaging things while recognizing kids will be kids.
I am not aware of anyone ever having been brought to tears from staring at a silent pair of speakers.
I always weep  in front of my silent speakers....

But it is after listening to Scriabin or Chet Baker....

Never before.....