30 foot long Balanced Cables to Balanced/RCA Adapters into Amp's Stereo RCA inputs?

I put this under 'cables', and am repeating it here because I always get good help here.

I just bought Blu-Ray player: Oppo BDP-105, arrives in a few days.

Primarily for it's 2 channel audio quality.

It just occurred to me, I could use all of it's audio, video, future streaming features if I:

1. Locate it in the small Home Theater system

2. HDMI to AVR of Home Theater, and

3. Balanced Outputs (audio only): 30 feet to the 2 channel amp in main music system (far end of the same room), use balanced/rca adapters at the amps rca in jacks.

then I could always access/see the menu for audio setup, and use all of it's capabilities

I've never used Balanced Cables.

Advice? Concerns? Avoid doing this!!!

I could buy 50 ft cable for more slack both ends: any reason to keep it to 30 ft?

thanks for any help,

Elliott

elliottbnewcombjr
Ok, I couldn't remember the name, but what you lose is the common mode rejection of a fully balanced connection.  Meaning, that it is effectively using one leg and ground from the xlr.  

This pretty much means an xlr cable with a xlr to rca adapter performs exactly the same as a single ended cable.  So if you wouldn't use 30 foot SE cable, you also shouldn't use a 30 foot xlr to rca cable.
@elliottbnewcombjr You'll want something to convert from balanced to single-ended at the other end of that 30 and especially 50 foot cable.

If you simply install an RCA connector at the output end, the entire connection will be single-ended. You can't have both, its either one or the other. The result won't sound as good- you may experience a high frequency roll-off (common with long single-ended connections). 50 feet will really demonstrate this.

But you can make it work:
Jensen Transformers makes things for just this sort of situation. You'll want one of their ISO-MAX products for this, perhaps a stereo unit that has dual XLR inputs and dual RCA outputs. Then you would just run short RCA connections into your stereo setup.

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/home-theater/audiophile/
You'll want to order it with XLR inputs and RCA outputs.
Jensen's pi2XR seems to be the one

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/pi-2xx/

I was told ART CleanBoxPro is good for the conversion XLR to RCA

https://www.amazon.com/ART-CLEANBoxPro-2-channel-Unbalanced-Converter/dp/B003S7T49K/ref=sr_1_5?dchil...

the ART output level control seems a nice optional feature, but isn't it like adding a Pot in-line, unless one setting is a simple pass thru

Do what Ralph says. He has been answering this question and similar questions for decades posed by people like us. He knows what he is talking about.
I bet, after setting up these ’awesome’ flexible uses, it goes back to music only: Oppo rca/rca to Cayin amp. Need to set it up using TV/internet to see it’s menu: factory reset, update firmware, modify audio settings; them move it over there.

Amazon delivers tomorrow:

xlr 35lf F into oppo, M end

that xlr M into cleanboxpro xlr F input

cleanboxpro rca F out

short rca M/M to amp.

Oppo 105 has a volume control, to adjust prior to these comparisons:

a. existing Sony carousel into nearby Cayin A88T integrated amp, rca/rca (don’t laugh, it has matched some darn good stuff)

b. Oppo adjacent to Sony: rca/rca. Oppo better be better!

IF it sounds better, then get the drill for 2 holes down to crawl space. Send Donna down there (she is 5’-0" tall on a warm day). Pull, curse loudly, Donna says she’s leaving if I keep cursing, mutter curses.

c. Oppo in HT far away from amp: xlr/cleanboxpro/rca. still great? still beat Sony carousel? Listen particularly for reduced highs.

That would leave me the convenience of Sony Carousel near amp for easy listening for parties; add the Oppo ’over there’ for ’real listening to CD/SACD. Always connected to video to see it’s menu; connected to ethernet for firmware updates

Oppo 2 channel audio to music system

Oppo built-in streaming/dac/usb/blu-ray to Sony AVR to Sony Smart TV, and/or direct to TV.

Existing HT Sony Blu-Ray down to garage for CDs there. Or give it to my son ...