New Stereo Times review on CODA CSiB Integrated Amplifier

My fellow Stereo Times staff reviewer, Richard Willie, has written a superlative review on the Coda CSiB Integrated that has just been posted on the website. Richard does a great job of describing the new "house" sound of this generation of Coda gear, an excellent analysis of the world class build quality of Coda gear, and a very interesting comparison of the Coda CSib to the Pass Labs XA-30.8. A fun read!

amorstereo
amorstereo
Was wondering if the Coda was more inline with the Pass XA25 vs the Pass 30.8? I bought the Pass XA25 over the 30.8 for me it sounded better than the 30.8.

I found the perfect class D amp in the AGD Audion's. If the Coda is better than the XA25 i might look to upgrade my class A system?? THE Show is coming up this June i will have to make a point to give the Coda a listen.
@arafiq If the Benchmark mono could put out over 600 watts at 2 Ohm I would use that over the CODA and the KRELL for the 3.7’s. It cannot so I have now moved that stack to the living room where it sounds incredible with the KEF LS50’s. I think I will blowup those speakers the way I am cranking it now. The CODA and KRELL are much better suited for the power hungry Thiel CS3.7, the CODA #8 or #16 especially so. I like the clarity of BM gear a little more over the extra bit of warmth of the KRELL and CODA (first world issues). I doubt I will like the even warmer PASS with the Thiel CS3.7. I do not find it bright at all unlike some others.

I have the KRELL back in the Thiels the last few days and I just love it. I was listening to a ton of Fela Kuti yesterday and with the additional power from the KRELL it was so much fun, better than the Benchmark stack power wise.

The reason the KRELL is sort of aimless at the moment is that the wife nixed the idea of the family room speakers. The KRELL was going to go there. I am conflicted about selling the KRELL because I love the sound but it would only be used for the RAAL SR1a and that seems crazy.

I bought a $1500 D-Sonic stereo Class D amp recently for the RAAL SR1a so once the CODA 07x gets here I can use the dual XLR outputs and have a listen. I am hoping that gives me the push to sell the KRELL.

I just realized that all my gear is made in the USA. That is cool.
@yyzsantabarbara Thanks for the update. It'll be interesting to read your comparison between Krell and CODA separates. I think Krell must have gone through substantial design changes to sound a bit on the warm side of things. I remember hearing a Krell integrated many years ago, and found it to be too bright and sterile for my taste.

Based on comments on this thread, it sounds like CODA should outperform Krell and Pass Labs. Let's see what you think. When are you expecting to receive the CODA stack? 
@arafiq I do not have KRELL separates but will have the CODA 07x shipped tomorrow. Last night, I was a little disappointment with the RAAL SR1a with the Class D amp I now own driven by my Gustard X26 Pro DAC (a brilliant $1500 DAC). So I was thinking that I should keep the KRELL K-300i integrated for the SR1a since that pairing is amazing. That means I cannot afford the CODA #8 in the short term.

If the new CODA 07x preamp with the Class D amp is better than the Gustard DAC direct to Class D amp. Then I will have some more options. I expect that to be the case.

The CODA 07x has 2 XLR outputs so I can run an amp to the SR1a and at the same time run an amp to the floorstanders (eventually a CODA #8). So that is the main reason that I have gone to the separates over the CODA integrated. I thought the integrated was great when I had it.

It seems my system decisions are really based on how I can get my RAAL SR1a to sing. All the gear I have had on the floorstanders have been very good to great. Not the case with the SR1a (such as the AHB2’s). I should have just gotten the RAAL HSA-1B headphone amp and be done with but then I would not have the fun of amp rolling that I am doing now. After this last bit is sorted out I am done buying.

BTW - I do not think I can say that the CODA outperforms either the PASS or KRELL. It is just a matter of preferences. The KRELL and CODA integrated sound different but I thought both were amazing on my floorstanders. Though I preferred the clarity of the Benchmark stack with the floorstanders. The KRELL and CODA were overall better on the floorstanders because it was a better power match in the 2 Ohm region for my speakers. So no easy answer to which is better.
@yyzsantabarbara i like “amp rolling” as a new tweak option!

and I’m glad we can get over “best” for a moment and just appreciate the differences