Why amps, pre-amps, integrated amps???

OK, having thusfar asked questions on this forum that have exposed me to the odd raised eyebrow and snicker for my gross audio ignorance, I shall go farther still, and venture to ask: What, exactly, are amps, pre-amps, and integrated amps??. More to the point, what, exactly, is their purpose; what do they do? And why do pre-amps and amps still exist comfortably in the audio market when you can get them combined as an integrated amp?? I just don't get it. Would much appreciate your learned revelations - after, of course, you've finished with your hoots, knee-slaps, and cat-calls.
georgester

12-08-11: Orpheus10
I like vintage tuners. In regard to the 180wpc power amp as compared to the very same amp as monoblocks, from a price performance point of view the 180wpc would be the winner; but there's nothing like the 3D soundstage of monoblocks, this is a result of the channel separation. While this is over the top, if you ever get used to monoblocks, you're hooked.
Well, it's interesting to note that the Heathkit's big brother, the AA-1800 (rated 250 wpc but more like 350) is a full dual mono design with two power cords. Single chassis, but true dual mono.

If I had the rack space, I'd love to get a second AA-1600 and bi-amp. Then I'd have a separate amp for each speaker.
If you're into "kits", you can also get deep into the "high end" by substituting parts. For example you could substitute better capacitors, of the same value of course; and other parts as well. This would give you a true "high end" amp.

12-09-11: Orpheus10
If you're into "kits", you can also get deep into the "high end" by substituting parts. For example you could substitute better capacitors, of the same value of course; and other parts as well. This would give you a true "high end" amp.
Actually, I'm not a modder or a kitter. My amp is a Heathkit because that's the name of the company and they made very high quality kits. But I bought mine used, which means it was already assembled. I agree about how--if you're handy with a soldering iron--you can upgrade the parts in a signal path to great effect. I've never done any modding except for some tube-rolling.

I have a Jolida JD-9A phono stage and there are slews of mods out there including capacitor upgrades, but I never learned solder well. However, there's a lot of buzz about replacing the factory socketed op amps (about $1.19 ea) with $18-22 ones made to greater speed and lower noise specs. I'll probably get a chip puller and pop in the upgrade replacements.
From what I have found with respect to upgrading the electrical components within a CDP, I had 2 done with year, yields an incredibly better product. That is assuming that you, or the modder, is experienced.

After experiencing the vastly better products for myself, I will never buy 'new' again, I will simply buy 'good' designs, used, and have them upgraded.
My amp is a Heathkit because that's the name of the company and they made very high quality kits.
Johnnyb53
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the "Heathkit" amps from that time frame may have been made by Harman Kardon.