Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I have to agree with Schubert’s comments re Barber. If in strict keeping with the topic of the thread, the foremost American composer. I also agree that there is something wrong with the sound of the Dudamel performance.

There is a lack of appropriate balance between the upper and lower strings; as if the lower strings were recorded more up close than the upper strings. This leads to a reduction of the appropriate relationship between the various voices, with celli and bassi being overly prominent relative to the upper strings; both spatially and volume wise. The orchestra sounds too “concentrated” spatially. Perhaps it is a function of mic placement or mic choice for the respective string sections. I suspect it is that, as well as an over aggressive desire on the part of Dudamel to bring forward the “inner voices”; to the extent that the leading voice almost gets lost at times.

I can forgive the technical problems with the sound, but more importantly, there is a static quality to this interpretation of what, as rvpiano correctly points out, is something very beautiful. I prefer to hear more movement within each phrase and less overt “drama” from the crescendi and the length of the silences between phrases.

For me, this performance, with a more old school recorded sound, gets the balances and pacing right; and the Philadelphia strings sound glorious:

https://youtu.be/ThDIKvee_mY

Btw, Re the comment by Inna about “too many instruments”. I understand the point, but while I don’t necessarily agree, it should be noted that this beautiful work is a version arranged for large string orchestra (by Barber) of the second movement of his String Quartet Op. 11.

https://youtu.be/kxtMe9CPZ9M
I love Barber piece.... It is difficult to embody so well a pure feeling....I listen my own heart here, it is more than listening only casual music....

Only the greatest geniuses in music succeeded doing that...

Sometimes there is a tragic front  side to pure beauty, it is like beauty walking and elevated to truth...Like Michelangelo Pieta....

It will be difficult to surpass the "spoken" articulation of the Ormandy orchestra like the flowing waving of the clothes fabric telling their own tale in the Pieta ....
O-10 seeks drama?

The entire piece (Pictures) is great and not too long.  This performance is one of my favorites.  Love the bass.  The Russians always give the brass a little love.   Great stuff, pre-Stalin of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kirSIsupt6o

Cheers

Rok, I've discovered some things that I like, but this is not my "universe"; I'm like a football player with cleats on a basketball court, or a basketball player on a football field.

We created "Jazz For Aficionados", but there is no way I'm going back unless you got my back, and I know you know what I mean.
To the best of my knowledge I don’t think the Vienna would put up with any Conductor going that far ! I have seen that in live concert.
Not a few think they are the best orchestra in the world , they sure do.I don’t, but so close I would never argue about it .

I may be dreaming but I feel at the opening bars you can see whether
a band is going with a conductor or not .

Look at the Munich Phil and Celibidache or Mazur with his Gewandhaus to see the I’m with you all the way.

Which is why I was not happy when Mazur went to New York.
My late wife and I had seen him a hundred times with his DDR Orchesta, 3 $ in Leipzig .Few know Americans could go around in East Germany no problem .

This is my idea of can not be better , totally different and I weep when I hear this adagio !

https://youtu.be/GbtCChVk0lA?t=3

P.S. Whenever I see Ormandy I think, now there is a honest man .

suble