Magico V3

I have been considering a speaker upgrade from my current Thiel 3.7s to units in the 10-15k price bracket in the used market. I have auditioned Wilson Sophia 3 and Sasha and Revel Studio2. The studio 2s were to me a sideways move in that the bass was very good but the transparency was no better than what I have; the Wilsons are both very good with superior bass dynamics and extension compared to the Thiels although the Sashas are a few grand out of my price range. Things I have available to audition in my area are Avalon Eidolon Vision and Sonus Elipsa. However, my interest is really peaked in the V3 because I have heard the Mini-2 and the Q3 and liked them a lot; in fact, I think the Q3 is the best I have ever heard, and to my ears preferable to the Wilson Maxx 3 which I also listened to recently. The V3s are available now since they are being traded for the Q3s.

I listen to a lot of orchestral music and acoustic music, mostly on SACD.

I cannot find a pair of V3's to audition in my area. If you have heard the V3s or own them, I am wondering if you think they would provide that wonderful Magico sound I have heard but at a price I can afford.

Thanks in advance for your help.
teeshot
Hi Teeshot,

I currently own Visions. I have listened to the Wilson line as well as the Magico's. V3, V2, Q1 Q5 and believe they are great speakers. I think the Q Series are the real deal. With regard to the V series, I feel the Avalon's are better in resolution without ever sounding harsh. With the proper electronics, the Visions are spectacular. I recommend Jeff Rowland. The Wilson line to me has an overwhelming bass that is not true to the music. Sonus Faber is another great speaker. I am not real familiar with the Elipsa. I heard the new models at RMAF and felt they did not sound as good as past models. They had the Elipsa at the show, and I thought they sounded good, but not great.

Good luck
Hi Teeshot,

I have owned early Watt/Puppies, Wilson X-1 series 3, Avalon Eidolon, Magico V3s and now Q3s, and heard many others in ideal (not show) circumstances, including Rockport Altair and Arakkis, Wilson X-2s, Maxx 2s, Avalon Isis and Eidolon Diamonds, and Magico M-6s, etc. I think for the current price in the second hand market, the V3 is the all-time bargain in speakers, provided that you value speed, resolution and musicality over extended but inaccurate bass and dynamic but less transparent mids and highs (all of which you can get from a set of used Watt-puppy 8s for a similar price).

I would echo the comments of others that they want a lot of high quality power and they are not the last word in bass extension (although what is there is as deep as my Eidolons which now reside in the living room, and more accurate). The only speaker that I would move to from the V3 is the Q3 (or Q5, but it really needs a lot of power), which I did, and it is a whole different story, but also more than 2.5 times as expensive. It could be that in the used market for a similar price the Eidolon Vision competes in some areas, but I would have a hard time going back to a ported design for anything other than a home theater or background music application. YMMV
Thanks for the responses. I have Marantz Reference monobloc amps which put out 300 watts per channel into 8 ohms, double that into 4 ohms. So I think I am set for for power... Lloyd, I found that the Mini2 had a reasonable low end for a small speaker; logic would tell me that adding another woofer and a midrange plus a heavy large cabinet, that the bass would improve. If the V3 sounds like a Mini with better bass then I might go for it.

High End Bob: Thanks for the response on the Eidolon Visions. I will definitely audition them.
I own the Mini2 and drive them with Pass XA160.5. These Magicos do need a lot of good, clean power and I think you have that. I have heard the V2 and V3. I did not like the V3 as much as the Mini2 or the V2, but I really think it was the set up at the dealership so they were not demonstrated to their potential.

I found the Mini2 lacking in bass impact and extension at the dealerships, but that was greatly improved in my own room after finding the right spot in my room and also with recent improvements in isolation to my front end. Bass was always very articulate and detailed, but now impact and extension are very good also. Magico does bass very well, IMO. For me it's about quality, not quantity, especially with the kind of music I love (cello, piano). The V3 should be even better in this area if the room/listener/speaker relationship is right.

I did find the V3 less coherent compared to the V2, Mini2 and especially the Q3 and Q5. Perhaps it is because of the physical separation between the mid and bass drivers. I don't know, but this is the weakness of the V3, IMO. I would want to audition a pair in my system for a few days to be sure.

The used prices are very good now on the older wood enclosure Magicos. I think it is a great time to buy. I listen mostly to smaller scale classical and jazz in a small room, and could not be happier with the Mini2.

If you've heard the Mini2, why not consider a pair of those at used prices? If you want bigger, the V3's could be the way to go.
MAGICO V3 wonderful full range speaker MAGICO MINI2 great as well you will enjoy either one.Good luck