Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
“3D feeling”.  Love that description and I believe I understand what you mean, Keegiam.  Tony Williams has been my favorite drummer for a long time and Herbie Hancock ....well, genius.  As far as I’m concern Miles’ 60’s quuintet, the second Great Quintet with both of them as members was the greatest Jazz band ever.  Great clips all, btw.  Thanks.

For Ghosthouse 😊:

https://youtu.be/BNBcZaB2uEQ

Frogman, two of my most cherished pieces by that unmatched Miles Davis quintet.  Significant Wayne Shorter influence, as it should be.  Herbie displays his genius as well.

"Nefertiti"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu0IfC_IUaA

"Pinnochio"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUC8NuiuXcs
Frogman - Enjoyed the Killer Joe track. What wonderful chords and arrangement. To my ears the latter almost "classical" in terms of exchange of parts among the various members. Will have to look further into that Jazztet work. Thanks for the introduction.

Unfortunately, my thread killing doesn’t relate at all to Joe’s killer threads! My own fashion sense (my wife is highly critical) being heavily influenced as it is by band and roadie wardrobes on the cover of The Allman Bros. Live At The Fillmore East.

Keegiam - I could NOT agree more with your opinion about Holdsworth & Di Meola. Glad I’m not the only one. From my perspective, you can have the world’s largest vocabulary but you gotta have something meaningful to say with it. Partial case in point, I much prefer Bill Connors or Frank Gambale to Di Meola in Return to Forever. Not to ruffle any feathers.

Alan Pasqua, the keyboard player, in that Blues For Tony track, did in fact play in TW’s New Lifetime. The Blues For Tony double CD is worth owning; as mentioned previously, a live recording covering New Lifetime songs from Believe It and Million Dollar Legs (I have Lifetime: The Collection a compilation of those two albums, not the individual albums).

Pasqua is worth looking up on Wikipedia. You might be surprised. Talk about flying under the radar. His work on The Antisocial Club and his solo, Northern Lights, are very good though the music styles on those recordings is very different.