Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Well, at least when he’s playing Monk. Monk’s is obviously a pretty bright light for Wynton. As long as he’s playing Monk, I’m good. Re the “chick”:

I have no idea who that is. Permanent? No. They have a list of approved subs and a pecking order within that list. My....let’s just say....educated guess (I know a bunch of those guys): Some of the charts call for quite a bit of tricky flute and piccolo playing on the lead alto chair. Sherman Irby (great lead alto) is not a great flute and piccolo player. Ted Nash is a great flute/piccolo player as well as alto. They gave Irby the night off and moved Ted over to lead alto. They needed a sub on the 2nd alto chair. Hence “the chick”.

**** It’s amazing they’ve managed to stay together all these years *****

Not really, actually. It’s the best paying Jazz ensemble steady gig anywhere. They have the backing of Lincoln Center and everything that goes with that: prestige, travel, benefits, job security and flexibility to do personal solo projects, Great gig.

You may find this interesting.  A far cry from “the old days”:

https://www.jazz.org/y28z77j/?toggle=1
Keegiam, funny, I didn’t even know that  “Premium” membership entitled one to videos others didn’t have access to.  Just three days ago my wife signed me up for “Premium” because she got tired of hearing me complain about having to sit through the commercials 😊.
Pjw, ONE AT A TIME!  Gets very confusing otherwise and is the only way to get a handle on what’s doing what.
Believe me I'm taking my time and watching my bottom line!
Steve Swallow lays down a nice bass groove for this funky duet with Metheny & Scofield. They go atonal at points but keep on swinging.
Great live recording. Is it a coincidence that I just received the new 2020 Scofield album titled "Swallow Tales"? Its a very good recording and I highly recommend it.

John Scofield/Steve Stewart - Swallow Tales - Amazon.com Music

Radio - YouTube
acman thanks for posting that PMG live recording.

Lyle Mays plays a blistering solo from the 11:25 mark through 13:15.

Here is a Lyle Mays live recording in South America. I tried finding the source whether LP or CD but it don't seem to exist. Lyle plays beautiful throughout. Thanks to You Tube we can hear this music.

Lyle Mays Trio – Live at Teatro Opera, Buenos Aires, May 6, 1992 (Live Recording) - YouTube