Which cd player: New /w Mod or just plain new?

I just can't wait any longer for the mythical final solution. System c/o Jm Lab Mini Utopias, CJ 17ls & Premier 11a. Siltech cables & interconnect. Shunyata power cords. Walker tweaked including Velocitor. Problem is, I believe I'm suffering from a case of paralysis by analysis and am still using my old Musical Fidelity A3. Any Recommendations or advice will be appreciated and considered; including "get a life". Thank you.
phaelon
Agree with the idea of going the modded player route.
A used modded player, if it is one that you want, can be a good option also.
You don't need to spend big bucks but their are modders who are happy to help you do so. :)

No doubt you will lose some money on your investment on modded units, but that is the case with new stock units too.
Face it-digital front ends are the worst investment in audio.
Speakers and amps hold their value much better it seems.

I would agree with the recommendations about Modwright and Tube Research Labs (TRL). I would add Empirical Audio.

There are certainly others, too.

Do your research and ssk questions here and on Audio Asylum, or Audio Circles.

Good luck.
"Conclusion: On the aggregate, a modified cd player is a better value. Do we all concur?"

LOL. This bunch here cannot concur on anything. :)

I think it depends and there are lots of opinions.
In answer to your first analysis-yes the modder can do things that are likely labor intensive that the big corporation cannot do as it is not cost effective. They are trying to sell 100,000 units at $299, or 10,000 units at $1499. The margins are small.

Typically people are not modding really expensive units.
The issue there is why pay $3000 or $5000 for a unit that actually needs modding to sound decent. (You can buy average sound in need of help much cheaper) :)

The ideal mod candiates seem to be $300 to $1000 machines, or used previously expensive units that can be bought much cheaper now. The mods can cost anywhere from a few hundred to $5000+.

The results are debated endlessly here.
Most of the modded units are probably really very good.
One problem is it is impossible to hear these things before you buy unless you know soemone with one, or go to audio shows. That is why you should do your research.
Modders are known for signature elements or sound or what they deem as ideal sound. May or may not be your ideal.

Have fun.

Thanks Lkdog. I think you nailed my trepidation with the mods. No audition. A while back, I had the opportunity to listen to a variety of equipment when a buddy opened his own audio shop. I was amazed by the amount of expensive, award winning equipment that failed to move me. And even when they did, and I'd take a piece home, system synergy could change everything. I guess I was hoping someone would respond: Hey, I have the exact same system and auditioned every cd player in existence. Unit "XYZ" is the bomb. PS. My name is Daniel Barenboim; I live two blocks away, come on over.
That is why research and asking questions is probably your best bet.
Also buy something used that you know will not take a bath on if you don't like it.
If you live in the SoCal area (or within a reasonable radius) feel free to drop by and listen to TRL modified stuff. I don't have the same system as you but that hasn't stopped others from bringing their gear over and spending an afternoon listening.