Benchmark LA4 vs. Anthem STR Preamps

My nephew is contemplating an upgrade on his preamp (currently using a lower-end Parasound, not sure of the model).   He says he’s whittled it down to two — the Benchmark LA4, and the Anthem STR (preamp).
— Pro’s & Con’s of each ?
— Anyone own one or the other?
I’m not personally familiar with either, so any data or opinions welcome.   

Thanks,
Jim
jhajeski
@mapman I agree that what I have done is not the easy way. There is no way I would attempt to create the files myself. I am computer literate and that makes me realize my limitations in using this complex audio software. 

Using a audio hardware approach is likely easier and good enough for most DIY'ers.
@yyzsantabarbara - Regarding using a PC vs. hardware RCS. Devices like the Anthem and Wavelet use more powerful computers for generating filters, which is the computationally intensive part -- I suspect it involves numerical optimization. Convolution in playback is handled by specialized hardware (DSP chips) in the preamps. I have no way of comparing such DSP hardware to a PC (better, worse, more efficient, whatever), but by using the external computer to make the filters, it seems they have sidestepped many of the issues with dedicated hardware.

Of course, with time, correction techniques will develop and may need more powerful playback DSP; but in time, everything becomes obsolete, anyway. IMO the simplicity of the Anthem or Wavelet paradigm is a reasonable tradeoff for many people. (I don’t like having a PC in my music room, though I understand that many users use them with great pleasure and success.) More than one way to do things, it seems to me.
@audiotroy - Something you said interests me but got garbled. It was this:
the wavelet offers an easy to use eq fub. Function that the anthem does not
Could you clarify, please?  Thanks!
@mike_in_nc A little background on how I got to my current software setup.

I got into the Convolution stuff because I wanted to figure out how to use DSP for my small office with big floorstanders. At first I looked at the hardware based options that I listed previously. Then I did more research on A'gon and came cross posts about ACCURATE software from Germany. The comments on that software were all saying that this was the most powerful DSP software available and would provide the best DSP results.

As I looked into that software I realized I would not be able to use it properly, it was too complex. I am a software developer with close to 30 years of experience so I should have more ability at this software than most. However, I took a pass. I was happy to later find a professional engineer who wanted to fill-in to this niche market to remotely create DSP Convolution filters using the complex ACCURATE or AUDIOLENSE software.
As an FYI to anyone interested in ROON Core | Convolution | PowerLine Network | ROON READY Zones.

My current setup is running a ROON Core with DSP Convolution filters on a cheap but powerful PC. It could have been the ROON appliance that ROONLabs sells or any other device that runs ROON. My ROON Core machine is located in my wife’s office, which has no audio equipment. It is connected to the home Ethernet network by a PowerLine network which uses the house’s copper wiring. I currently have 4 ROON READY Zones in 3 different rooms, the guest bedroom (soon to go away), my son’s playroom, and my home office (with 2 Zones).

In my office, I have 2 Sonore OpticalRendu’s connected to a Ubiquiti Networks switch with 2 Fibre cages. So I use direct Fibre from the switch to my 2 OpticalRendu’s and these 2 Rendu’s are connected to a Benchmark DAC3B and a Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE DAC. I have headphones and floorstanding speakers in the office. Whenever, I listen to the floorstander I select the ROON DSP option and then select from a drop down list the DSP option containing the Convolution DSP. When I listen to the headphones I use a DSP filter with everything disabled (I named this option NoDSP). So in my office I have 2 ROON READY DACs (via the Rendu’s) and 2 DSP options for a total of 4 listening options.

My other 2 ROON READY Zones have DAC’s with built-in ROON READY RJ45 streaming. My son’s playroom has a KRELL K-300i integrated with Ethernet coming from a PowerLine Adapter to the RJ45 input. The bedroom is has a Matrix Mini-i-3 Pro DAC connected by wired Ethernet to the RJ45 input. Neither of these use the Convolution DSP options though I could if I wanted to. In fact, yesterday the system sounded awful in my son’s playroom. That was because I had accidently select the Convolution DSP option for the ROON Zone connected to the KRELL. Not sure how I managed to do that screwup. That Convolution file is specifically designed for the home office, not other rooms.

The great thing with the KRELL system is that my babysitter and another person for my son both can connect to the KRELL and play music using their iPhones using the ROON Client. Including adjusting the volume with the ROON app. Only the KRELL supports this volume adjustment.

Anyways, just some info on my computer networking | audio streaming | software based DSP for anyone interested.

BTW - I will checkout the EtherRegen for the KRELL streaming on the 30 day home trial.