If you don't have a wide sweet spot, are you really an audiophile?

Hi, it’s me, professional audio troll. I’ve been thinking about something as my new home listening room comes together:

The glory of having a wide sweet spot.

We focus far too much on the dentist chair type of listener experience. A sound which is truly superb only in one location. Then we try to optimize everything exactly in that virtual shoebox we keep our heads in. How many of us look for and optimize our listening experience to have a wide sweet spot instead?

I am reminded of listening to the Magico S1 Mk II speakers. While not flawless one thing they do exceptionally well is, in a good room, provide a very good, stable stereo image across almost any reasonable listening location. Revel’s also do this. There’s no sudden feeling of the image clicking when you are exactly equidistant from the two speakers. The image is good and very stable. Even directly in front of one speaker you can still get a sense of what is in the center and opposite sides. You don’t really notice a loss of focus when off axis like you can in so many setups.

Compare and contrast this with the opposite extreme, Sanders' ESL’s, which are OK off axis but when you are sitting in the right spot you suddenly feel like you are wearing headphones. The situation is very binary. You are either in the sweet spot or you are not.

From now on I’m declaring that I’m going all-in on wide-sweet spot listening. Being able to relax on one side of the couch or another, or meander around the house while enjoying great sounding music is a luxury we should all attempt to recreate.
erik_squires
I'll give my layman version, timbre is how I can tell a trumpet from a clarinet playing the same notes. What acoustic embedding has to do with it I don't know I don't even know what acoustic embedding even is much less the other two though I have tried to figure out what he's talking about.
Range between tonal and noiselike character

- We have no control during playback, except w.r.t. dynamic range of our system, i.e. potential volume and noise floor, the rest is inherent in the recording.
How do i control this attribute in my room?

Controls of mechanical and electrical and acoustical noise floor....With the many homemade devices you mocked  and whichi used successfully  at NO COST....

Time envelope in terms of rise, duration, and decay (ADSR, which stands for "attack, decay, sustain, release")

- With the exception of decay, which is room dependent, we have very limited control of this on playback
controls of decay with MY acoustical settings is KEY here.... In my room...

Changes both of spectral envelope (formant-glide) and fundamental frequency (micro-intonation)

- Again frequency response
Yes frequency modified response potentials of my room by my Helmholtz tubes and pipes modifying the original  response of my room....

Prefix, or onset of a sound, quite dissimilar to the ensuing lasting vibration

- Again, either in the recording or affected by the room.
Precisely the acoustical controls in my room play a greater part here also than the source recording Why?

Because the best source in the world with the best system will NEVER give a good and natural perception of timbre in a BAD ROOM....

Have you forget the CRUX of this discussion possessed by the urgency to be right against all at all cost repeating this mantra of frequency response in the face of a complex problem ?

The recording source is one HALF of the story when we speak about timbre perception, the most important half is the acoustical control of the room which will permet or not a good or very good RECREATION of the information encoded in the source....Remember that this information encoded in the source is NEVER complete nor perfect by reason of trade-off locations and types of mic. in use by the recording engineer esthetical or practical choices....

Then playback experience can never be equal to lived experience...
This is the reason why RECREATION of timbre perception being a complex acoustical and fundamental experience is the BENCHMARK test if we want to know if our system is good or not.....

If you're listening through headphones then you can toss out the room and it's all up to the equipment. I think you're over reaching with room treatments. I'm not saying some are important to smooth out the FR but I'll take DSP to finish the job. 
I assumed what we heard in relation to timbre was on the recording
Try any recording in a bad system and try to distinguish clearly the different instruments playing and their timbre distinctive voicing...

Good luck....

After that try that on a good system, with a low noise floor in all his three working dimensions especially acoustical....

You will understand...

The information about timbre in any recording source is uncomplete by definition and by the choices of the recording engineer.... Trade-off inevitable choices...This is the bad news...

The good news is we can compensate this in our own room settings by making our gear able to sound at his best potential.... Imaging, soundstage but especially timbre is the test that our controls of the noise floors are right....It will never be the REPRODUCTION of the original event which is impossible but a good partial RECREATION...

You room never reproduce your source but recreate it....

If you’re listening through headphones then you can toss out the room and it’s all up to the equipment.
What do you think the shell of a headphone is?

A ROOM.... Most of the times a bad room... a room with hard trade-off that you can modify and control better with damping for example.... i modified with success all my headphones because they were all unsatisfying...

I trash my 7 headphones in a drawer: 2 stax, 2 dynamic, 2 magneplanar, one hybrid.... Only the hybrid one has a good timbre recreation but other limitation....

My room now is SO good at 2 locations for listening thay listening to headphones is unbearable....

Some years ago it was the opposite, listening to the same speakers was unbearable at times because of his limitations... in fact the problem never were my gear but the 3 noise floors uncontrolled: mechanical electrical and acoustical....