Merlin VSM/MMe with Berning ZH-270

I have just acquired a ZH-270 to use with my Merlins, I have the following setup Mark Levinson no37/360s, Berning ZH-270, Merlin VSM/MMe with the SBAM connected between DAC and Amp as there is no tape loop. My Problem is that on most CDs I get a distorted sound, especially at Norm or Med feedback settings?.
Thanks in advance
David
agathe79
david, a pre with a tape loop is a must for multiple source systems and best sound with the merlin's.
check and see how long the charge lasts and let me know.
we can also add another input to the bam with a switch. this works well and i inexpensive to have done.
ok?
bp
a tube pre would be even better. the tube line output stage will buffer the bam and make it sound more robust, expansive and real.
jmtc.
I'm glad to hear you got the distortion issue resolved Agathe. The Merlin/Berning combo really requires a pre-amp to get the most out of it. I have tried it direct cd out to BAM to Berning. On all settings it was always clear but a bit too lean again, regardless of the feedback settings. As Bobby notes, a tube pre-amp will enable you to tailor the sound to your taste. I have lived with this combo for almost 10 years continuously and I can't overemphasize the importance of system matching to maximize what these two components together can realize. The Berning is so transparent and resolving it is susceptible to vibrations and RFI because of the high frequency used to carry the signal. Tubes also are important to get a desired result. There are plenty of threads on this amp and the Merlin/Berning combo that go into details concerning pretty much all you need to know.
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll have to get a Joule Electra LA-150 SE or similar shipped over to the UK. Tube rolling has come up as well, so I'll be looking into this as well.
David