The indisputable benefit of fiber for music

I've read a lot about fiber's audible superiority to Ethernet, and most of it I have taken with a grain of salt.  1GigE is plenty fast for just about anything, and it is balanced and galvanically isolated. The one area where fiber is clearly a better choice for music systems is lightning protection.

It is not uncommon for lightning to enter a home via the cable TV's coaxial cable. This can easily jump the millimeters from coax to Ethernet to Ethernet. So if you are like me, and rely on Ethernet cabling to stream to avoid any Wifi issues you are also creating a possible lightning path from the external Internet provider's connection all the way to your fancy audio gear.

In this one situation I have to say, the use of a 1m or longer fiber cable is the superior solution. I'm considering using this at the junction between the cable TV modem and my router, therefore isolating all of my streaming devices at once.

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
If you are sooo worried about it invest $19:
https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-accessories/products/instant-802-3af-adapter

If you want better sound get an ENO and a pink Faun isolator.
I just got a HOM250SPSD for $60.
Debating whether to plug it in hot or cold.
I am duplicating my home office fibre setup for someone's office. Everything is the same except 100 feet of fibre and 40 feet of fibre for 2 DACs in 2 different rooms.

I was told that short fibre wire is not ideal, less than 10 feet.
@anzaanimalclinic 
Found that choice of SFP's will make or break the deal.
What specifically did you find out about choosing the best SFP converter?  Which do you recommend for best sound?

Another question to all you ENO owners who also use fiber is whether the ENO, which costs over $800, has been worth it just to clean up the last very short Ethernet cable running from an SFP box to the streamer, assuming the majority of the run from router to the system area is all fiber?

The manufacturer, @richtruss believes so;
All active devices emit noise, including optical to RJ45 converters. We have users with these media converters that get a big improvement, as eloquently described by Bill, by adding an ENO filter between the media converter and the streamer.

Check out posts by Kenny123 at WBF.  My experience is limited to Startech SFP1000ZXST which I found overly bright.  Sonore's Multimode SFP's and cable which I found overly dark.  And Finisar 1318 which I enjoy.  Kenny recommended Finisar 1324 which I finally found on ebay and are being delivered shortly.

I have a Startech fiber and an also waiting on another fiber cable to be delivered.

To answer your question about the ENO filter I just removed mine and immediately found the sound dull glossed over and lifeless in comparison, but if I didn't have the ENO I would probably think it sounds good.  The ENO is between an EtherRegen and SOtM sNH-10G which are connected by the fiber and both clocked by a MutecRef10.  I just put the ENO back and all's well again.  And for full disclosure there is  SOtM dCBL CAT7 between the ER and ENO, the ENO cable is very short.