Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
There’s a lovely new recording of the great Liszt B minor Sonata by the 28 year old British pianist Benjamin Grosvenor on Qobuz.
He really does it justice.
@RV     I have just opened the discussion to see anything new and discovered your news re Grosvenor I shall search for it first thing tomorrow and get back in touch. I love the Liszt Sonata and I love young Grosvenor's playing so here's looking forward to tomorrow.
Good night all. 
Enjoying the Valentina Lisitsa Liszt recital hugely.

The Bm Ballade is something else, and the Schubert transcriptions just beautiful.

@rvpiano     RV have had a few listens to young Grosvenor's Liszt recital and yes he certainly does great things with the Sonata and most other things. I don't think he has the way with the three Petrarch Sonnet's though as they seem quite distant and detached, have a listen to Arrau and it's a different ball game.
"

Ross, by then adept at the organ, entered the Nice Conservatory, where he delved into — and increasingly concentrated on — the harpsichord.

“A friend and I used to let ourselves get locked in the conservatory at night,” he told an interviewer in 1986, “and we’d play Bach’s ‘Art of Fugue,’ four hands on a single instrument, until the janitor would kick us out at dawn.”

" He Was a ‘Bad Boy’ Harpsichordist, and the Best of His Age

Scott Ross, who would have turned 70 this year, died young of AIDS — but not before recording all 555 Scarlatti sonatas.

"I am not much into harpsichord, but this man really had the touch.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/arts/music/scott-ross-harpsichord-classical-music.html?action=cli...