Disappointment with Pass Labs - I'm looking for something else

Hello, I am new to this forum and my mother tongue is not English, so please forgive me if I make mistakes as I use a translator.

I recently bought an XA30.8 and an XP12. I was very happy but as time went by I began to not feel comfortable with the sound.
After doing many tests, I find that the XA30.8 sounds very very sweet but actually too much. I find it to be a loosely defined amp, somewhat muddy and lacks a lot of air and grip. The soundstage is very closed.

The XP-12 is the worst of the two. It is a previous that removes a lot of resolution and information, without transient attacks and sunken mid frequencies. Instead it brings warmth.

Has anyone of you found the same?

If you ask me, I have a Klipsch Cornwall and a dCS BArtok.

Now I want a capable amp, forceful, something warm, decisive, airy and with a great soundstage.

At first I thought of changing my XA30.8 for X250.8, and changing the XP-12 for a second-hand Audio Research Ref5. I am afraid of this change and continue with Pass, since I can go back to the same thing a bit.

On the other hand I have thought of going for a Luxman 900 combo, since it has very good reviews and from what I have read it could be the winning ticket.
opm
  • I mentioned the MC275 only because when you change the tubes, it is a different animal. I use to have the Cary and loved it. I’ve owned the Audio Research References 250SE, Ref 160 Monoblock, Chord SPM6000 Monoblock, SPM12000, and now a Krell Evolution 402e and McIntosh MC2301 Monoblock. Both the Krell stereo and the MC2301 Monoblock are not cheap but since you mentioned Audio Research Ref5 preamp (you can only buy used), maybe you can lucky finding a Krell or a Krell FPB amplifier.
Keep the amp, ditch the Pass preamp! Pass preamps are anemic and lifeless. I had the XA60.8's with both the XP20 and XP30 and was underwhelmed. Went to Aric at Aric Audio and we came up with the original Motherlode preamp. That was close to four years ago and all of my gear has rotated in and out, but The Motherlode remains...it will serve as a great compliment to the Pass amp.