Takedown of pricey servers, streamers OCD HiFi guy

Not sure if anyone caught this, but it's quite the take down of some of the very expensive server/streamer stuff out there. It seems logical to me -- especially when he prices out what some of the internal components are -- but this is above my pay grade so I cannot confirm. It's here: https://youtu.be/MMSC9-qQ_K4

Wonder if others agree or disagree with the basic takedown.
128x128hilde45
There are certainly several logical fallacies in the video. Those inclined may have a field day but I choose to take the good and throw away the bad. To that end, I hear him say to **dive deep** before investing large amounts of cash unless you are at/near audio nirvana - which is excellent advice for those into music and audio gear.

OCD Mikey doesn't criticize spending exhorbitant sums for gear. Rather, he reps several very high-end ($$$$) brands such as Rockna, Jeff Rowland and Playback Designs. He also sells what he portends is a high-value/high-end AudioByte DAC (if a $4k DAC can be considered a value.) He tells what he believes makes AudioByte a value (uses latest proven technology FPGA clock and DAC.) He also states that their soon-to-be released HUB streamer (est. $2,000) will be worth the money and the wait.

Is the Taiko SGM Extreme Server a compromised design? I have no idea. But it certainly is remarkable that the motherboard and USB subsystems are non-proprietary. The Taiko Extreme is undeniably a "statement piece" - so shouldn't its internal design make a stronger statement? The Rockna and Playback Designs servers he reps use proprietary motherboard designs with comparable aesthetics/build quality. He is certainly ripping Innuos - and perhaps unfairly - although surely some of their dense product line is overpriced.

I think what he is getting at here is that far more audible system improvements are possible using other gear ((such as DACs)) - and that high-end servers/streamers are reserved for those reaching for the final few drops of audio goodness. He happens to sell some killer DACs - and the same companies also make high-end servers - so, if you're going for the best, high-end, luxury system, you may also want the physical design of the DAC and Server to match.

On a personal note, if I had that kind of scratch to spend on audio systems I would go for MSB, dCS, or Meitner DACs that, unlike Mikey's brands, also support MQA. :-)
Wow.

First I find the logic that SOTA music servers are "just computers" is akin to saying that a state of the art CPU or power transistor, is just a few pennies worth of silicon, copper and plastic; or that a capacitor is just a bit of metal and a dielectric. 

Pulease.

At some point we must all pay for some form of human endeavor in the form of technology.
If you don't believe that servers are more than the some of the parts assembled, then buy a desktop, better yet put one of your own together.  So easy a child of 12 could do it.

Not only the aesthetic, but more importantly (to me at least) the sonic differences between many servers from DIY $500 dollar units to cost no object devices is not only real but also SUBSTANTIAL.  This truth is no different here than it is in absolutely EVERY OTHER audio component!!!

If you don't think that custom power supplies, custom I/0 solutions, and custom software solutions make any difference, then don't buy a custom server, and while your at it, sell your entire existing system and buy a 60 dollar solution that has EXACTLY the same functionality from E-bay.
Interesting comments from each of you.  I do not stream still spinning CDs.  My buddy just purchased the Rockna (looking forward to hearing it).  I have also heard an older MSB at his home that was upgraded to the newest software.  It was like a $14K unit new that was bought for $5K used.  I make my own products but they are all tube based products.  The MSB was a very nice sounding unit.  My buddy liked it for the resolution, it is quiet and has a digital volume control so he can probably sell his BeSpoke passive preamp.

What makes us different is that I prefer a more musical sound and he only wants quiet and resolution.  I placed a Counterpoint tube preamp in his system (completely modified) and he hears what I like.  Depth of sound stage, better separation, more dynamics compared to his passive but not as overall quiet.

So everyone has a sound that they like which is what the hobby is all about.

Happy Listening.
Not only the aesthetic, but more importantly (to me at least) the sonic differences between many servers from DIY $500 dollar units to cost no object devices is not only real but also SUBSTANTIAL. This truth is no different here than it is in absolutely EVERY OTHER audio component!!!

Because you use capitals it must be true!  Sorry, but many other components have lots of claims that are not true too. After you eliminate electrical noise, there is really not much you can do unless you are purposely manipulating the bit stream, assuming your DAC is good at jitter reduction if SPDIF connected, and with async USB, not much to improve.
Because you use capitals it must be true! Sorry, but many other components have lots of claims that are not true too. After you eliminate electrical noise, there is really not much you can do unless you are purposely manipulating the bit stream, assuming your DAC is good at jitter reduction if SPDIF connected, and with async USB, not much to improve.
Interesting...  

Nice trolling, but your not goning to catch any real fish with that bait..;-)

Your comments "not much you can do" and  "not much to improve" swims dangerously close to "everything sounds the same."

Don't get me wrong, I am an extremely technical guy.  
FWIW I have a dual degree in Engineering and hold several Patents in my field.

However, I learned a long time ago that, that when it comes to audio, it is far better to let one's ears inform one's intellect (and system of beliefs), rather than the other way around. 

Take a moment to think about that.  This distinction is extremely important.  If your ears hear a difference and you confirm that difference is reliable and repeatable, then find a logical reason how and why it can be so.  Do not let theory sway your judgement, rather let your judgement inform the theory. 

It is interesting that OCD Mikey's comments come without much comment on the sonics of servers/streamers at various price points and many comments on this thread follow the same hypothetical path. 

Personally I have HEARD many many servers in my system, from an entry level laptop to a custom built desktop PC optimized for audio to the latest servers from Baetis, Laufer Teknik, and Aurender

They all sound significantly different in my system and range is SQ from pedestrian to amazing.  I finally spent my hard earned money on a third party solution that cost over 5 figures, even though I would have loved to have had success in my own DIY effort.

As a good friend said to me, until you've driven both, the difference between servers, like the difference between a Porsche 911 and a GT3 is simply no more than speculative.