Do different streamers really sound different when using an external DAC

Maybe this has been posted before but it seems that often when a post is made where someone has gotten better sound it’s because it was the streamer with included DAC that was changed, not just the streamer. No doubt a better internal DAC,  better file resolution, a better music service, will make a difference.

But I just want to see comparison of streamer to streamer with the same DAC implementation. I am currently using a Bluesound Node2i outputting via Coax into a high quality tube DAC
So here’s the million dollar question.

What have been your experiences in upgrading streamers, keeping everything else the same ie, DAC, cables, output type (Coax)? No doubt better control apps and having a display will elevate your experience but how about just sound quality. Anyone?

Thanks

128x128alvinnir2
To the OP:

Yes - the streamer function makes a significant difference. I started with a Node 2 going into an outboard DAC. I personally experienced a greater improvement by going to a better streamer than I did going to a better DAC.  Others feel otherwise so YMMV.

I have multiple data points to support my own experience including auditioning multiple units in my system.  One particularly notable experience:  Before I settled into my current setup, I auditioned a Simaudio 390 D - a unit that includes preamp, DAC and their MiND streamer function. I placed the unit in system to drive my amp and connected the unit via Ethernet (not WiFi).  It sounded quite nice  - it’s a good unit overall. 

Then I placed my current streamer back into the system (connected via Ethernet again) and used it to feed the 390 D via USB.  No other changes.  It was not even close.  While I liked the preamp, DAC and control app for the 390 D, I passed.  I was looking to upgrade my DAC and was thinking I could sell my streamer and have a better and simplified system.  

I kept my streamer because it turned out to be the most significant component in my chain. 

Some would say this was an unfair comparison as my streamer is 75% of the cost of the 390 which has a preamp and DAC too.  Yes, it was unfair.  But, I was also thinking at the time - how could it make that much difference?  My bias going in was the DAC is the key. 

Audition a better unit in your system.  I suggest specifically listening for spatial information. Perhaps you’ll find an improvement. Perhaps not.  There’s really only one way to find out.

Best,
The node has a pretty good sounding dac, however being that I can’t leave well enough alone, I’ve purchased the mytek liberty which should do the full unfold via toslink or spdif. And yes I’ve replaced the nodes power cord and I have a hardwired Ethernet connection using a fiber optic “ bridge”.
By the time you've done all this, you've spent more money than you would on a really good streamer/DAC like the TEAC NT-505 and still don't come close to the sound quality of the TEAC. 

Sell the Bluesound, put the $300 or so you get for it towards the NT-505 which is being blown out for $1200 by TEAC right now and for $900 you have a really nice sounding streamer / DAC that will do MQA, DSD, and pretty much anything you want it to, other than it doesn't support as many music services as the Bluesound.  The Bluesound interface is really its best feature and hard to beat.

I hate to sound like a fanboy for the TEAC, but after having already gone down this path myself I'd like to help others keep from throwing good money after bad. 

The Mytek Liberty is a very "digital" sounding DAC, very analytical.  Adding it will sound a little better than the Bluesound on its own, and the little light will come on for MQA, but unless you prefer etched analytical sound over warm yet detailed "analog" like sound, you'll be replacing it before long.  Of all the DACs I've owned, the Liberty was my second least favorite.

Anything you do to try to make the Bluesound sound better is a band aid.  It's not a bad sounding unit, not by any means.  But if you're chasing sound quality, there are much better sounding sources available.  All the fancy power cords, cables, and external DACs you slap on it are only going to take it so far.  And that won't be as far as replacing the whole shebang with a better streamer/DAC.  

I have the Node 2i & a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. The Node 2i does not need a USB connection to output the MQA file/stream to the Mytek DAC.

When properly configured as per the manual, you will see the MQA symbol and the blue or green dot next to it on the Mytek display showing it is receiving the MQA.
In your BluOS settings, set "MQA external DAC" to on. I have replay gain disbled, and output level fixed is forced on as long as the external DAC is set.
In answer to your question "Do different streamers really sound different when using an external DAC?", in my meager experience the answer is 'yes'.
I went from using the Node2i internal DAC to an external Jolida DAC and now a Border Patrol SE-i DAC. With each change in the DAC stage I noted improvements in soundstage and detail.

Make of that what you will. :)Happy listening.
@musicfan2349

In answer to your question "Do different streamers really sound different when using an external DAC?", in my meager experience the answer is ’yes’.
I went from using the Node2i internal DAC to an external Jolida DAC and now a Border Patrol SE-i DAC. With each change in the DAC stage I noted improvements in soundstage and detail.

think you may have misunderstood the op’s question...

but my experience is the same as yours...

same decent streamer like node 2i -----> various outboard dacs results in vastly improved sound quality

changing different streamers -----> same outboard dac sounds basically the same