First Watt SIT-3 preamp pairing advice

Hi There,

I have Nelson Pass's First Watt SIT-3 power amplifier. I am using a ~15 year old VAC (Valve Amplification Company) Standard Preamplifier with NOS Telefunken 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes for the 2 stages. I am looking to upgrade the preamp and am considering the Passlab XP-12 or the Linear Tube Audio MicroZotl MZ3 preamp. My impression is that both preamps are fairly popular when pairing with First Watt amps. Anyone here have paired both these preamps with the SIT-3 and can provide impressions that might help me decide? If there is 3rd option that you like very much, I am all ears too. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andrew
longinc
Thanks @vinpic! Your notes are super helpful - thanks for sharing. And very nice speakers you have there!
@coachpoconnor - thanks sharing your comparison. Why is the LTA the clear winner in your comparison of the 2 preamps?
Check out Aric Audio. Aric builds a a couple great 6sn7 tube preamps. Variable gain output up to 20 dB. Call him and discuss your needs.
@longinc My speakers are 95db Omega single drivers, and in my system/room and my listening tastes, I have no gain issues using the MZ2 with the SIT-3. Others may have different experiences, of course.

The Don Sachs is an excellent preamplifier, but after extensive A/B with the MZ2, the different strengths and weaknesses of each are immediately apparent. Both excellent, and more than anything I think the choice comes down to personal tastes/preferences rather than any objective sense of which is “better”.

My advice would be that if you are looking to land on the cooler side of neutral rather than full-on classic tube bloom, the LTA would be the better choice. And for bass management, to my ears, the LTA is definitely much cleaner and tighter. Again, all a matter of taste.
Also want to second what Nelson Pass said, and which @vinpic highlighted earlier in this thread: the SIT-3 behaved like a different, happier amp when I wired resistors in parallel with my 8 ohm speakers to drop the load the amp sees down to 4 ohms.  I felt kind of dumb trying this with 8 ohm speakers, and wasn’t expecting much, but it definitely improved the overall presentation, which was already excellent. A fun, inexpensive tweak to try.