Buying used or sight unseen speakers a bad idea?

Hi folks, reading & absorbing as much as I can in the Learn forum, question from a novice in this field, is it safe to purchase used or sight unseen a pair of hi-end speakers? Are speakers considered "too old?" Does it effect the sound too much? Thanks
akhan13
Which reminds me. The ONLY time I ever got screwed on A'gon in 10 years was by a guy with no feedback, new to the site. He got kicked off after I escalated the issue, but could of course easily set up a new account with a different email address.
Akhan..., I think the advice above is spot on. As I have mentioned many times on the Forum, mostly all my gear is either a dealer demo, a factory rehab or used. ALL, the used stuff was bought off A'gon. And, I followed the due diligence advice steps mentioned above. Most important -- KNOW YOUR SELLER. Look at feedback, make a call and have a chat, and so forth and so on.

One topic that wasn't discussed very much is model. I refrain from making equipment recommendtions because such choices are inherently very subjective. However, I do recommend that if you buy a pair of speakers without first auditioning them, stay with tried and true models that are well recognized. That way if you are not happy with the speakers, you should be able to get most of your money back.

One last point, I have mentioned many times that system synergy is very important: (i) between various pieces equipment and (ii) between the amp and speakers (e.g., tube or solid state). Some speakers are easier to drive than others for various technical reasons. I suggest that you call the manufacturers of both the speakers and amps that you are focusing on to ensure there is a good match.

The better manufacturers have very helpful customer service reps who are more than happy to give advice.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Cheers
There is a member dispute link on the member page. One more thing. If you want to have recourse for your transaction you need to use paypal. They will block the funds in the sellers account the moment you raise a dispute until the issue is reolved. You pay 3%, but it is a from of insurance.
Another quick note: try to buy brands that are sold in local dealerships near you. That way you have access to repair techs that are in your area. You are also able to audition their products, then go out and find them used. When my Rotel amp starting blowing rail fuses, I took it to ListenUp here in Denver. They are a Rotel dealer, and the front desk guy was a little reluctant, but they have repair facilities onsite, and took good care of me. My Halo Pre can be supported by Gold Sound, a brick and mortar shop that's been in business for 20 years. Otherwise if something breaks, you have to ship it off to some out-of-town joint.
I do not recommend buying speakers unless you've listened to them first...