Von Schweikert vr33 question

Does it bother anybody else that the bass speaker is located in the rear of the speaker? I would think it just wouldn't be the same as it being up front. I understand it allows placement closer to the rear wall. I don't have that problem. so should I not purchase them? What other speaker is going to give me full range for that kind of money used?
dpm2340
@dpm2340 Sorry, that's really the point.  At the frequencies reproduced by that bass driver, your ears can't tell whether the waves are originating from the speaker baffle, the floor under the speaker, or the front-wall behind the speakers. 

There will be differences in sound from each launching point, but those differences will be driven primarily by how the peaks and valleys of the bass waves sum at your listening position.  
Below ~120hz, the bass quality is really driven by how those standing waves build up in your room.  For example, it is quite easy to have a room where you're getting a 10-15db reduction in some frequency slice at the listening position.  My room was killing 40hz.  No matter what driver (10", 12", 18", 21") or amplifier (5W - 5000W) were used, if the bass drivers are located in the same position and your listening seat doesn't move, 40hz is still going to be down 10-15hz.  The only things to do are to move the speakers, listening position, or add alternative bass sources (as in a distributed bass array) to change the distribution of the peaks and valleys in those standing waves.
thank you cal. that was what I was asking. could I tell if the bass driver was in the front or in the back. I know we all like our speakers to disappear. I wasn't necessarily looking for more bass but more from where it originated. all that other stuff, way too technical for me. but thanks for sticking with me.
Glad I could help. Just do keep in mind that much of performance down below 120hz is really driven by these room effects. So often bass performance is attributed to speakers and amplifiers.