Better Amp for Cornwall IV's...

...Parasound 2250 v.2 / 200 Pre combo, which I own, or Denon PMA-1600NE integrated, which I don't, but I admire the build quality and appearance of?  My Parasound is rated 275W into 8 Ohms / 400W into 4, while the Denon is 70W into 8 and 140 into 4.  Of course, the Klipsch Cornwall IV's are quite sensitive and are rated 8 Ohms.  Maybe more than which is better, which would you all prefer?
jdmccall56
I did the deed.  Yesterday (1/11/21), I ordered a Denon PMA-1600NA from Music Direct.  I don't know if it has "higher quality" Watts or not.  We'll see.  I don't know how biased into class A it is.  In fact, I have not really found any independent tests of it with measurements.  Denon's own specs are quite limited, too.  They do provide this: 70W into 8 Ohms from 20-20000Hz with  .07% THD and 140W into 4 Ohms at 1000Hz with .7% THD.  I see no specs for peak power.  The 4 Ohm rating at 1000 Hz just makes me wonder why they didn't spec it from 20-20000.  Oh well, time will tell.  Music Direct gives you 60 days to decide if you want to keep it or not.  That ought to be plenty of time.
The 4 Ohm rating at 1000 Hz just makes me wonder why they didn’t spec it from 20-20000.
Because it wouldn’t double the rated power at full band width. So it looks better to the untrained eye to list it as they did. A common trick done by most cheap receiver manufacturers.

Not sure why you wouldn't go with a tube integrated. That's where Klipsch speakers shine.

Oz

If I can't hear the sound of my own natural speaking voice when the music is playing, I turn it down. I usually stay in the 90-95dB range on peaks. Loud but not TOO loud.
This is probably wise. My measure of the quality of a system is that it does not sound loud at any volume. This can be done if equipment that makes higher ordered harmonics and distortion is avoided.
Denon's own specs are quite limited, too. They do provide this: 70W into 8 Ohms from 20-20000Hz with .07% THD and 140W into 4 Ohms at 1000Hz with .7% THD. I see no specs for peak power. The 4 Ohm rating at 1000 Hz just makes me wonder why they didn't spec it from 20-20000.
You can see from these specs how important it is to avoid a 4 ohm load! In high end audio, keeping the distortion down is important, because the ear interprets all forms of distortion as a tonality. Its particularly sensitive to higher ordered harmonics and intermodulations, which it perceives as harshness and brightness. This is why so many solid state amps sound harsh and bright- its not because of a frequency response error.

After you've had some time with the Denon, please post back here- I'd be interested in what you think of it.

After you've had some time with the Denon, please post back here- I'd be interested in what you think of it.
Denon amp should arrive tomorrow.  I'll follow up with impressions.

Tubes ..... the Klipsch's (all of them) are made for tubes.  Since looks are important to you, look for an upgraded Fisher 101 or 202 integrated stereo tube amp from the '60's and you'll be in 7th heaven.