Half the information on CDs is analogue

I would like to argue that one of the reasons that some transports sound significantly better than others is because much of the information on a given CD is actually analogue (analog) information.
An excellent transport does not just read digital information: 1s and 0s (offs and ons); it must be sensitive enough to pick up the other information that has been stored as a physical property of the CD medium. This 'physical' information, like the tiny bumps in the groove of a vinyl record, is analogue information.

Before I say more I'd like to hear what others think.
exlibris
Jason, I've often wondered how to go about making some really fine recordings for my firends and myself. Do you know any resources on the web for amateur recording. I know that Manley makes a nice 8 channel Tube mixing board and I've noticed that many of the recordings of the 1950's and early sixties have the characteristic sound of tube equipment. But that's as far as I've gotten with that idea. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.
Again, most engineers are fighting the same battle that you are Sean. The problem is two fold. For one, most bands attached to labels have little say in how their record sounds, except for the biggest, most established acts. Most people selling tons of records have absolutely no control over their album. At the same time, most people who are making independant recordings and who are not attached to a label only want something to compete with major label recordings. We DO try to educate our clients about good sound. We also get stuck between a rock and a hard place in that if we don't give the client what they want (loud, over compressed recordings), then we will often lose work.

As industry professionals our integrity is to do the job that we are hired to do. If it was purely up to me I would do many things differently with most of the recordings I produce. I also think that most music being produced (alot of the stuff that I work on in fact) is garbage as well, but much of the time it's not my place to comment on that either.

I also believe that the way recordings are produced today suits the way that most people listen to music. Less compression and more dynamic range is going to be bad news for most consumers. The real battle is over the role music place in the marketplace. The advent of the ipod, as well as the convenience of technology has turned music into a background affair. Most peolpe listen to music constantly for most of the day (be it on their ipod, the radio, on tv, in the car, etc), and as a result the meduim is losing its percieved value. We need to get more people actively listening, and going to live shows. Most people don't even listen to whole songs anymore.

The movement you're talking about will only occur if the general public changes their listening habits. Back when people would sit down and listen to an album in its entirety, many more people cared about sound quality than do today. Now the shift has been towards convenience and image, and things won't change until that changes. The vast majority of engineers would love to see a shift towards better recordings, but the market has to change first. Engineers complain about the state of the industry and sound quality more than audiophiles, if that's even possible. For now, we have to meet the demands of the market and our employers. Most of us are having a tough enough time working enough to feed our families. We live in a world where everyone thinks they are an engineer or producer, and budgets are always shrinking. It says alot that videos are more expensive than ever, when recording budgets are a fraction of what they were. The studio where I typically work charges less than similarly equipped studios 30 years ago, not accounting for inflation, and people still aren't exactly beating down the door.

The best thing for audiophiles to do is support the labels that do cater to us, and produce the kinds of recordings that you want to hear. There are lots of recordings produced today that sound better than ever, and we need to make sure that there's enough of a market to keep these people busy. We should also be fighting to get more people interested in music on an active level. If you can get somebody to start listening to music in an active way, and listening to complete albums, then getting them to care about sound quality is sure to follow shortly.
Though I will always purchase the music that I love, regardless of how it is recorded or mastered, I would like to also actively support the labels that do cater to us, and produce the kinds of recordings that we want to hear.
The problem is that I generally only listen to 'rock.' I generally listen to independent bands and solo artists that are 'below the radar'.
I already know about all the small labels that are producing excellent sounding classical, jazz, easy listening, ambient, electronic, and 'world' music.

Does anyone have a list of labels (or mastering engineers) producing excellent sounding CDs from artists in the rock/alt/indie genres?

Thanks.
Exlibris,

Doug Sax at the Mastering Lab is very good and in very high demand (he has won so many awards). For pop stuff/country, he uses compression like most everyone these days but at least he uses it sparingly. Check him out on Artist Direct and see which albums he is credited with...

A great example of his work is the remastered Toys in the Attic Aerosmith CD or SACD...this album sounds much better than earlier CD versions or greatest hits versions. He founded Sheffield Labs and has a long track illustrous track record of high quality productions.
Exlibris

All this stuff about the superiority of vinyl and tubes over CDs and solid state and it turns out you only listen to rock! Who the hell cares how accurate the audio as long as it blasts you away. Do you ever have any idea what the intent of the musicians and/or producers was at the time of the recording?

Thanks to Axelfonze and a few others, the thread was a worthwhile read. My experience is that there are excellent CDs and SACDs, but then I prefer jazz and chamber music, the likely target for those producing high quality recordings, so my sample may be biased.

db