Half the information on CDs is analogue

I would like to argue that one of the reasons that some transports sound significantly better than others is because much of the information on a given CD is actually analogue (analog) information.
An excellent transport does not just read digital information: 1s and 0s (offs and ons); it must be sensitive enough to pick up the other information that has been stored as a physical property of the CD medium. This 'physical' information, like the tiny bumps in the groove of a vinyl record, is analogue information.

Before I say more I'd like to hear what others think.
exlibris
Sean,

I think it is not as bad a picture as you paint....there are some good recording industry people out there...Telarc, Chesky, Naxos, The Mastering Lab....just to name a few of the better known sources of good recordings
Shadorne: Out of all of the recordings sold om a day, what percentage of them do you think come from those labels? Sean
>
Here's an interesting article about the horrid sound of modern digital recordings / CD's that you might want to check out. It's good to see that some folks on the "inside" of the music making / recording industry are noticing what we are too. The fact that Neil Young, Bob Dylan, etc... are speaking out about things like this in such a vocal fashion can only help the cause. Sean
>
Sean,

Interesting article about the compression on modern pop CD's. This matches my experience....it all sounds ok in the car or on a boombox but on my system I hear it for what it is....lots of distortion and monotonously loud and dull sounding.

If you are looking for great examples of a good recording; try Tower of Power Soul Vaccination or George Bensen "On broadway" live...

Perhaps the best way to fight this would be for audiophiles to publish lists of the worst offending crap CD's; giving the artists recognition for their vile sounding work.

Artists like Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Lenny Kravitz, Ricky Martin etc. (all of which I can appreciate muscially but have a track record of putting out badly compressed and distorted CD's)