Magnepan announces the 20.7

Jacob Heilbrunn has a first look on The Absolute Sound's site.

"But here’s the skinny: no other speaker at this price will offer even remotely similar lifelike performance, and it should—no, will—scare the bejeezus out of most of its competitors. It’s no accident that Audio Research, which I also got to visit, has 3.7 loudspeakers as part of its reference system. So go ahead. Search for another loudspeaker. But I can only wish you good luck. I defy you to find one at up to five times the cost with the scale and realism of the 20.7."

http://www.avguide.com/blog/first-listen-magnepan-s-new-flagship-207-loudspeaker
josh358
I think you can pour sand into the Mye stands, I imagine that would do a good job of getting rid of any ringing.

It's worth noting too that both YG and Magico use aluminum enclosures. Apparently, it's easier to control the ringing than it is to damp wood. (Of course, enclosures are more demanding of the material than frames.) Jim Winey is on record as having said that metal frames would be better for Maggies, though I don't think they're a practical DIY project for most of us.

Another possibility is Corian, some dipole manufacturers say it makes a better baffle than wood and MDF.
Josh is well aware of the 'third rail' nature of talking about panel vibrations and the various theories.

Magnepan vibration theories abound. Wood perhaps absorbs vibration which may 'reflect' back from the MDF and cause problems. That's why I'm not a big metal fan, too, since metal will reflect vibes.
At least Aluminum doesn't ring like Steel. And most of what I don't like about Aluminum wouldn't matter using it in panel construction, anyway. Lack of fatigue strength and poor tensile strength, for example. Don't bother telling me about special Aluminum alloys. I suspect Magico uses a 6000 series since it is easy to work.

I'll bet Corian would give your budget a hernia.
I have listened to Maggies going back to the 80's and as recent as a few months ago (with top of the line ARC gear). I appreciate their speed and their light airy soundstage. Their sound is similar to the Quad ESL's to me with the Quad's being just bit more magical. Still, I come home and hear my system and find it more satisfying. Maybe not quite as fast, but there is more meat to the sound, more heft. The Maggies soundstage is impressive, but always seems semi-transparent whereas my home system makes the soundstage more solid feeling. I like them, but just never enough to put out the cash to own them. The Maggies do a couple of things exceptionally well, but I would not say that they are the best speakers ever- even at their price point. To each his own.
I am waiting for the 20.7s to arrive at the local dealership so as of yet I have not heard them. I am auditioning the 3.7 in a couple weeks tough.

Always loved Maggie's but before spending 14k or so, I wanted to listen to some non-panel speakers. Yesterday got to hear the Wilson Sophia 3 and Saaha as well as Avalon Indra and Isis .

I soon discovered how so much of this "hobby" we love is all about what we value both sonically and financially.

The only speaker of the 4 I listened to that blew me away was the Isis which is 78k full price, although had floor models for 50.

The Wilson's in general were not my cup of tea, so having said that the 28k Sasha's seems like it is over priced BECAUSE OF MY LISTENING PREFERENCES. My bottom line is "can I or how much does it allow me to enjoy the music" and obviously I like the huge Maggie sound stage, which differs some imaging, which the Wilson's did very very well.

The Avalon sounded more musical to me but the smaller Indra did not have quite the "weight" I would want.

Where. I am going with this is that 28k is over priced if you don't have the sound, one may call 78 or 59 k over priced versus a 14k Maggie or whatever even if the sound of the more expensive speaker sounds better in some ways but at 3-5times the cost

Now having said all that, for my listening pleasure I think/expect the 20.7s to be quite a bargain and the 3.7s an out right steal