Adcom gfa 555 or 5400

Hi, new here and new to the stereo hi-fi world. I'm looking to get my first separate amp to run my two front speakers off my Denon 4400 a/v receiver. So did some research and heard good things about Adcom, and their prices seem pretty affordable for a beginner. I have a chance to buy either a 555 or a 5400 both for about $300. My speakers are Monitor Audio silver 8's. The 555 has been with the seller for ten years and he says its running great, while the 5400 is being sold by an audio technician and he claims that he's just serviced it and that its also running great. I'm not looking for booming bass....just a nice warm clear sound from my two front speakers. Can anyone point out the cons/pros between these two older Adcoms, I know that the 555 has more power, but I'm more interested in the musical aspects of either amp. Cheers and thanks!
vinnyjr70
Thanks very much guys. Looks like I can get my hands on a parasound hca 1000a for about the same price. 
I had the 535 paired with the 400 (which I still use as a phono pre-amp and radio).   I more or less agree with the previous posters. At first I heard plenty of detail I wasn't used to w/ my old system, but then "lean" "too bright" "sizzle"--whatever. A lot of my music (particularly voice/choral) became unlistenable.  The best thing about that amp was that it inspired me (in some desperation) to try out an entry level tube amp, which I have been using ever since.  I gave the Adcom away.
I kept my 535 because it's not worth much and still sounds better than a receiver. I don't have a receiver, but if I inspire a friend to jump ship and go more toward audiophile gear, it's an easy re-gift! Good luck, OP!
Thanks everyone ended up grabbing that parasound hca1000a for $260, so didn't have to choose between the adcoms, the parasound is sounding good, very "clean" sound and it's running very cool, looks like it's running my silver 8s easily
A while ago, I'd say the same about the 535. But I had it modded by Hoppe's Brain, and wow, what he did with it. New transistors, caps, resistors, and more. I've had Parasound, Naim, Van Alstine modded Dynaco, a couple more amps. Until I have a few thousand to play with, it's my keeper. Unfortunately he's experienced some physical problems such that he doesn't do modifications anymore. He will sell you his boards etc for you or someone else to put in 535's and 555's. (btw, I have no affiliation, just admiration)