DAC Choices - $5,000 to $7,000

What are the current top DAC choices in the approximately $5-$7K price range (new or used) that I should look at as possible upgrades to my current Metrum Adagio?  Having an on-board volume control is not a factor as I can operate my system either way.   If I wanted to spend more I would look at Totaldac, Rockna Wavedream Signature, or one of the other top-end contenders, but I selected the price range to achieve a sound quality that is consistent with the rest of my system and because I don't want to spend more due to the still evolving nature of digital technology.  I do like the more natural sound (to my ears) of NOS R2R DACs.  So far, I have considered the three below, but none seem to be a slam-dunk upgrade from the Adagio, which still sounds pretty good in my system.  The decision is complicated by having to "buy to try" so that I can hear one in my system.  Maybe now is not the time for an upgrade.  Any thoughts?

• Denafrips Terminator w/DSP board - Reportedly has the full body/dense tone type of sound I like, but also has a high'ish output impedance 
  • Holo May KTE - Reportedly measures great for an R2R DAC and has strong reviews 
  • Rockna Wavelight - Some reviewers like it but others put it in the middle of the pack for the price
mitch2
Adagio/Pavane is a beautiful sounding DAC and it's a keeper for a longer time. I heard Cees is developing a new DAC for about 10K and we also know that his DACs are modular.
You must have heard about their plan of upgrading Jade/Onyx to the levels of Adagio/Pavane. So Cees might think of upgrading the current Adagio/Pavane to the next level by changing the module. Wishful thinking but you never know.

The addition of Marantz SA10 a few months back made me realize that something is wrong with the USB input of my Adagio. So I bought a used Gustard U12 to use the AES input of Adagio. Results were very surprising honestly. So now I plan to add Denafrips GAIA (or at least Hermes) and install the i2s module in Adagio to use i2s out of GAIA. 

Earlier I was thinking of buying either of Aurender N10, SOtM trifecta, Lumin U1, or dCS network bridge. So just a trial of U12 has saved me more than $4000.
In my world, I2S out of the Ambre has been the best sounding input into the Adagio, followed by AES/EBU, with S/PDIF and USB being less desirable. To my ears, using Ethernet from the Roon Core into the Endpoint (i.e., the Metrum Ambre), and having no USB interfaces in the signal chain has been a sonic improvement - and yes, I did try some pretty good cables (i.e., Totaldac and Curious) as well as all the usual suspects in the world of small box USB do-dads.

Since I also own a Jade, I did pre register for the DAC3 upgrade but wasn’t clear whether that upgrade also affected the Adagio/Pavane, although I let them know I own both.

I have no experience with the Gustard U12 but I see it is a USB (input) converter so I assume your source is a computer. If you are able to use a direct Ethernet connection, the Ambre works great and was sonically comparable when I owned both it and the SOtM Ultra trifecta (slight differences but both units sounded good). The I2S output connector from the Gustard uses HDMI so you will need to adapt that to RJ45. Hopefully the Gustard or Metrum folks can help you with the wiring. Here is a review of the Gustard U12 with measurements, in case you have not seen it.  BTW, if you heard positive improvements by using the Gustard U12, the Denafrips GAIA should perform very well for you since it looks like a serious piece of gear and quite versitile.
Amber seems an obvious choice but I do not want Roon. One of my friends is using modded Amber with great success.

I have built a computer audio transport in a Streacom FC10 chassis, powered by HDPlex200 LPS and OS is APL4. I have installed Cantata and use window10 to remotely control my transport. This works very well for me. But the problem is the USB input of Adagio which I want to avoid.

U12 is only temporary till better quality GAIA or something similar is added. U16 has good reviews but GAIA has better specs on paper. SOtM is out due to the hassle of multiple boxes and their power supplies. Audio-gd DI-20HE is also out because of its i2s connector being RJ45. 

If you can live with the boxes, you can sometimes find all three SOtM Ultra units (including the switching PS, which is pretty good) being sold at a good price.   They did sound good but in a full-bodied sort of way with maybe a smidgen less resolution than from the Ambre.  Both were grainless and musical.  It was really a pretty close comparison with the Ambre, and I owned both units at the same time.  The Ambre was just a little more dynamic and hard-hitting and the SOtM a touch richer sounding. However, they were so close I chose to keep the Ambre because it is only one box and because it dropped Roon less often (from seldom for the SOtM unit to pretty much never for the Ambre) and was easier to restart after powering down.  The GAIA looks like a nice unit.

BTW, how did your friend modify the Ambre and in what ways did the modification make the Ambre sound better, if you can share? 
SOtM boxes are out because I already have many "boxes" from a cassette player, TT to monoblocks. I had to modify my rack a couple of times to accommodate these boxes.
Most likely I'll go for GAIA to be future proof and to avoid any modification of my custom made server. GAIA has many input/output connectors and even both i2s types.

My friend has done modifications to both hardware and software of Ambre. He used sd card to flash Ambre.