Anyone listen to Zu Audio's Definition Mk3?

Comparisons with the 1.5s and the others that came before? Getting the itch; again......
128x128warrenh
Germanboxers, I did not choose my terms correctly. By 'holy grail,' I did not imply that your quest for 3D tangibility was mystical or unrealistic. I meant to say that it was the essence of good audio: convincing audio illusion. I have heard very few systems pull it off regardless of amplification, etc. I too have made inept, stumbling attempts at system building while chasing various sonic attributes.

I have a few friends who own Claytons and love them even on higher efficiency speakers. That being said, they have also been described as being "darker sounding" for class A SS, and that may be part of the reason why you like the Atmas better. Believe it or not, many people felt the older generation ASR amps were too dark sounding. Go figure. I do know that using SS amps can make life harder in terms of achieving synergy and good sound. Tubes are much more forgiving particularly with a digital front end and high efficiency speakers. I briefly experimented with the Emerald Physics CS 2.3s, and high powered SS (TRL Samsons) was not copacetic.

You have already cobbled together a nice system. No need to chase a lot of new variables. The one variable worth investigating is the new secret sauce in Gary's system, one that produced exactly what he (and it appears you) were looking for: Dale Pitcher's new conditioner.

It is supremely irritating that you cannot email members any longer.
>>One area I haven't been able to get "right" in my current room is the truly 3D holographic effect....Do the Mk IV's improve upon the previous models regarding this attribute?<<

I've never had any trouble getting multi-axial dimensioning from any generation Definition in my room, but for anyone who has, I have to say that Def4 will improve your chances considerably. It's unity of presentation and the greater precision of projection off the nano FRDs have yielded better spatial presentation for me. Take some time to get toe-in right for your room and listening position and you should be able to snap into focus a nicely dimensioned soundstage.

>> I swear I could make out the lips, neck, body, legs of musicians...it was so "dense, palpable, and 3D" that it really was hard to believe. Is this kind of experience possible with the Mk IV's and a proper SET? <<

Normally I'd say to someone who seeks this but has never heard it that they have to question whether they are able to hear this way. Not everyone processess the sonic cues that register on their eardrums. But since you have heard it prior, then I say yes, and in fact well-executed SET (wideband, fast, good unity) gets you closer than push-pull topology, generally. But sloppy SET won't.

>>...but am curious if an 845 SET with the Def Mk IV's has the potential to duplicate what I heard with the Proac/Cary 805?<<

Yes, but again it depends upon specific amp choice, and then you can usually improve all aspects via careful replacement of stock tubes. Generally, 300B amps don't have the bass discipline to be effectively paired with Definitions of any version. There are exceptions, but they usually aren't cheap. The Audion Golden Dream, Coincident Frankenstein and Audion Silver Night are in the realm of Def-compatible. Also, 300B push-pull amps. But the 845 and 211 big-glass tubes are much better mates to Definitions, if part of very well designed and executed circuits.

>>I refuse to trade any of the strengths of my current system though!<<

Start with your Atmasphere and draw your own conclusions. It's a great combination to begin knowing your next move, if one is warranted.

Phil
Charles,

I've heard various PHY-based speakers, including some Tonian, Ocelia and DIY, but not with my own room or gear. I'll say that PHY speakers haven't shown me the same combination of efficiency, shove and tonal neutrality that Zu has achieved in recent years (Druid 4-08, Superfly, Def4) but the essential elements of holistic character, good-to-great tone density, speed and phase-coherence are quite audible in PHY-based speakers. And, I'd understand someone either subjectively preferring their euphonics, or in the absense of having heard a Def4, preferring a PHY full ranger or coax "1-1/2 way" over *any* passive crossover multi-driver speaker. PHY speakers don't have the same power handling as Zu, nor that sense of ability to convey both voices and violence that Zu does well. But that driver is fast and articulate and Ocelia instances of PHY in particular produce beautiful sound. I'm much less endorsing of the ribbon tweeter Tonian uses in most of its speakers, but others may disagree.

At two price ranges in the current line, Zu has achieved truly exceptional balance and holistic presentation in Superfly and Def4, by any standard, with the rest of the line representing really well-engineered and chosen compromises for reasons of market-expanding cost and I expect more of both are coming. With all these full-range-driver based speakers, the power amplification takes on a disproportionately large role in defining the character of the system.

Phil
Phil,
Thanks for your reply,
My Coincident SET amp and speaker are fabulous together as would be expected with the same designer. I find your experience with the DEF MK IV. very interesting and I`m attracted to well implemented simplicity.In general simple designs sound better to me than the complex designed components.The crossoverless speaker should in theory sound pure and have natural tone. I`d really like to hear this speaker one day.The Frankenstein very easily drives my 3 way(2 xover speaker) it should be able to drive the even simpler DEF IV.