Hard Drive based system

I've read all of the threads I could find on a "server" type system. I plan on running a hard drive, to a Waveterminal, to a DAC. My question is, can a system like this sound as good, or better than, my cd player? Is it all up to the DAC?

I currently have a Marantz 8260 CD/SACD player.
ecruz
You guys are giving me plenty to think about. I guess I'll give the TRL mod a try and go from there.

Kenn39
I still want to eventually go with the "server" setup. So maybe I'll take your advice and build the server as I go.

Thanks for all the info.
Well, it's off to TRL for the Sony DVP-NS900V. I bought that player specifically on Paul's recommendation, because of how good he said it can be. If all of positive reviews and comments are correct, I should be very please with this upgrade. I can't wait to hear it.
Ecruz,
have you look into the squeezebox? buy an external hard drive to save all your cd and use the squeezebox wireless and it have a digital out to go into any dac you like..hope this help..
Ecruz,

You don't know what you're in for. I was just talking to Paul's brother Brian Weitzel about this player. They have some pretty big things in store for it. I think you will be very pleased. Remember, it is a long break in process - 500 hours, although after 300 you should get pretty much a good feel for the sound. I just got their new solid state amp and it's getting better every day. At the 175 hour mark right now so a bit more to go.

Welcome to the family.
I emailed Paul and asked him what they do compared to other modders. He would tell me nothing! Just that he's seen all of the other stuff and has no idea how they can justify their prices. Also, that he would absolutely guarantee my satisfaction. And that of all of the moderately priced players, this will by far sound the best. He said he'd mod my Marantz 8260, but it wouldn't come close to this Sony.

I can't wait to hear it!