B&W 801D or 802Ds

Basically, I would like your impressions of both of these speakers. I have gone out and heard them, but not side by side, and either one would be a most excellent choice. However, I would like to know from owners of these speakers what are the strengths and weaknesses of the 2.

I do prefer the big woofers of the 801D, but the 802D might have tighter bass. Also, I've looked for the 801Ds and I haven't found them anywhere on the used market. Not even here on Audiogon this summer.

Thanks for your time. Looking forward to the discussion.
dave_72
Well from my experiences, the FPB or Evolution Krells are a great match with B&W 802D or 801D. I´ve been for a while researching good electronics to my 801D. I´ve picked EVO 600e, they are really expensive but worth what they cost. They are transparent but at same time musical, extreme bass control etc.. I think no other amp at its price range would beat them.

I would suggest you a Krell amp and a tube pre. Man, I´ve listened the 801D loaded by Krell EVO402 amp and Audio research (tube) pre and the sound was EXCELLENT. In my opinion I would never more use just SS. You have to make some combinations with tubexSS to get the best performance from your speakers with the most warm sound without loosing any bass attack. Also for the cables, this setup was connected with Siltech reference cables. Friend this brand is one of the best, they are builtin gold+silver which can produce a balanced sound!!
801's are not made now only the 800D and 802D are made. Thats why you cant find them.
I'm absolutely torn between 801D and the new 800 Diamond for my Electrocompaniet Nemo amps. I know the NEMOs can drive both. It's weird that by now I haven't seen a single serious A/B comparison between the two models. Most people seemed to prefer 801's to 800D but what about 800 Diamond? Are the finally as good in terms of bass and as smooth as 801D were?