Looking for a basic streamer without a DAC, preamp, storage and all that

I’m looking for a simple streamer to connect to my Schiit Bifrost DAC via USB, coax, or toslink. Every streamer I look at has some combination of features I don’t need: screen, preamp, phono stage, amp, DAC, hard drive, Roon-readiness, etc.

All I want to do is use Tidal Connect on my iPhone or iPad to send the content to the streaming device which will connect to my DAC which is connected to my system. For the sake of convenience, I’d prefer not to connect my phone or iPad directly to the DAC. 

So is there a really basic and pared down streamer that’ll just accept content from Tidal or the like or am I going to have to sort out which streamer has the least amount of features I don’t need and just live with it? Or am I just going to have to accept connecting my iPhone or iPad to the DAC?

pip_helix
Can you point to one very good resource for this?  Do any of the software options support high quality synchronization between multiple units?  I have some rare free time for a pet project I want to tackle.
mlsstl852 posts11-17-2020 9:01pmWhy don't you go the Raspberry Pi route? With a Rpi 4B you can get good quality USB output or add a HAT card and get SPDIF coax or optical output. You have a number of operating system options available and you can put the whole thing together for $100 or so. You can gussy them up with linear power supplies for just a bit more.

Dayton Audio makes a device for streaming audio. The WBA31 is a bluetooth and wifi streamer. You can get them from Parts Express for $50. It has a toslink output. I am using one with my Schiit Vali/Modi Multibit for headphones in my bedroom.

I am also using two Raspberry pi/Volumio boxes on two other systems. I use usb to connect with my DAC. The software is not perfect. The Volumio box in the living room is not transmitting sound after an update. I only upgrade one at a time in case there is any problem. The other one is not playing nice with the Volumio app. I set each box with a static ip so I can use a web browser to access it. I have the DHCP set up to start at xxx.xxx.1.100 the "x"s represent whatever your router is using. One Volumio box could be set to use xxx.xxx.1.60 outside of the DHCP range. Punch that address in and you are good to go.

In my living room I sometimes cast to my smart tv. I am using toslink to my DAC. Works great and eliminates a ground loop.
Hello,
You have to think about resale, ease of use, and down the road functionality. The answer is really Blue Node 2i. I know some already mentioned this but you have to think about the three things I said above. Some streamers are a pain to navigate or hook up. What if your DAC fails for some reason meaning it has to be serviced. You can use the DAC in the Blue Node 2i until it’s fixed or replaced. You decide you want higher end and want to sell it. Everyone knows what Blue Node is. You can add on units or different models of Blue Node to have multi room music system functioning from one app. Last but not least. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are a little over a week away. Wait to see if their is a deal to be had. In October Blue Node gave $100 off the 2i. Maybe they will do this in a week. https://holmaudio.com/bluesound/
Agree on Bluesound Node 2i. I got mine, open box, for $450. I stream it to a better DAC.

I mean, what would you really be looking to save by getting something without the DAC? A couple hundred? The point by @hshifi about resale would take care of that difference if you resell.
I haven't had any problems installing and configuring software for the RPis in my systems, but then I am fairly computer literate. There are a number of places where you can get good instructions. To my mind, probably the hardest thing is choosing which of the many options available that you want to use. I currently use two different ones -- one player uses the HiFiBerry OS with their HAT card and is very simple to set up. The other two player use the PiCorePlayer OS which has more options and thus a bit more complicated. I use PCP on those two RPis because the players have touchscreen displays.

As noted, there are many other options available.