110V/50Hz equipment in a 220V/60Hz country.

Hello,

I am living in the US, where I have
bought a couple of decent pieces
of high end equipment. I am considering
buying a couple more pieces, at a higher
price level, to upgrade my system, but have
the following problem: I am from Europe,
and there is a good chance I'll be
back in Europe in the next 2-4 years.

What are the acceptable options
regarding stereo equipment if I move,
apart from selling everything except
the dynamic speakers and starting
from scratch?

Given the difference in cycles,
is simply buying transformers
for voltage conversion
an acceptable option? Other options?

The equipment in question is
pre and power amp, SACD,
DVD-V and A, tuner.

Thank you!
vas
The frequencies of course are the other way around:
US is 110V/60Hz etc...
Sorry about that, thanks for your comments.
You might consider a PS Audio P300 or 600. I think you can order one that'll output 230V at 50 or 60HZ with input at 120.

Regarding transformers in general, if an increased frequency is applied to a transformer the inductive reactance of the windings is increased which causes a larger volts drop across the windings and a proportionaly smaller drop across the load. So an increase in frequency should not damage the transformer

However a decrease in frequency will decrease the inductive reactance of the windings and lead to an increase of current through the windings. If the decrease in frequency is large enough the increased current flow will damage the transformer

So generally transformers can be used at frequencies higher than normal but not usually below. In your case you are more likely to experience longer term problems with the power amp than the lower power items (pre, source, etc) but it is all dependent on the tolerance and build quality of your units

If in doubt contact the manufacturer(s) as they will be able to tell you if the transformers fitted to their units have enough tolerance to handle both 50 and 60 Hz. Usually in respect to frequency a lot of equipment will operate satisfactorily in the range 45 - 65 Hz without modification

Regarding the voltage ratings, if your units are designed for 110vac then they will either require wiring changes to operate on 220vac (if provision has been made to allow this) or replacement transformers or external step-down transformers (this may not be practical for the power amp side of things)

Hope this helps, regards, Richard

I use a PS AUDIO power plant which solves the conversion problem in the first place and is a recommendation in the highest order anyway!
You also can use a very simple transformer - available up up to 1000 VA - which I did for my WADIA's before I had the PS AUDIO plant. No problems whatsoever, though some "experts" warned me of having major hums or similar surprises.
However, I would recommend having the power amps converted at the factory before moving.
Good luck!
I used a US 110V/60Hz Pioneer PD-54 Elite CD Player on a 220V/50Hz electric power system using a step-down transformer for a few years. The step-down, of course, reduced the voltage by half, but did not affect the Hz cycle. The unit performed without problem, but then the laser diode burned out. I do not know if this was transformer induced. There was also a degradation in sound quality, resembling the type of sonic deterioration produced by jitter. Because of warranties, and uncertainty about problems, I would have the manufacturer switch the transformers for you, if they can agree to do this for a reasonable charge. Some might refuse to do it at all because of sales policies. Otherwise, use the PS AUDIO power plant, or a quality step-down/step-up transformer (I use a CuestaSystems PowerSwitcher, but there are better ones).